Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Mark, if yours is a 2007 3 litre then for it to be a BBJ petrol which is mainly belt drive so is yours a diesel 3 litre? Quattro or manual?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Sorry Crash, did they do an 07 3.0 petrol?

Mine's a diesel/quattro/tip will update my signature
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Yes, the BBJ, so yours is a diesel?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Crasher so are they easier/cheaper to change on a diesel?

Was referencing the fact that my 18yr old Petrol/LPG Jaguar's got chains/tensioners and, whilst not a doddle to change, cost less than half the price of a modern petrol Audi.

Or just a juxtapose on Vorsprung durch Technik?
    Last edited by MarkTM; 02-07-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The chains on the 2.7 and 3.0 V6 diesel are an awful job and the parts are stupid money and only available genuine. Some people take the gearbox out (the suggested Audi method), some people take the engine out.

Yes I know the Ford engine built at Bridgend you refer to, a good unit initially let down by penny pinching accountants.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    These guys like to spread a little sunshine eh?

Audi A6 3.2L Timing Chain Problems - YouTube

"Audi 3.2 engine? Well you're doomed I tell ya.. But we can give you a generous 50% off the entirely invented $15k "normal price" and we are probably gonna sting you for some other extras while the engine's in pieces"!!
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I have a 2006 3.2 A6 Avant (90k miles) and i think the Chain has gone. My wife started it up on Friday morning, and I could hear a loud rattling so she turned it off. I tried to restart but no luck and sounds pretty unhealthy.

question is, if the chain has broken and the engine turned (RAC man came out and tried it too) what kind of cost am i looking at to repair at an independent? I am guessing it isnt going to be worth it? what i can see on the net is that it is an engine out job and seems like labour is going to make it not viable to fix? Has anyone actually had it fail and fixed it?

thanks, Tom

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It is going to have bent valves so it will be easier engine out. No it will not be viable to repair (the parts are daft money, mostly genuine only) BUT as the car should be EU4 emissions, the value and desirability of a big petrol barge is going to appreciate, I think, quite significantly in the next year or two as the T zone **** hits the fans in various cities throughout the UK. Now is the time to be scouring the ads for broken petrol motors when they are worthless, fix them up and make a good profit in a year or so.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher. probably time to look for replacement car! maybe see if i can get someone interested in paying to take it off my hands as it is.

btw i see you have a Vulcan link in your signature, my auntie Rusty Drewitt was involved in the project too.

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 3.2 Timing Chain!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I took a look at my block 93 values in VCDS and had a bit of a shock, as bank 2 intake is on the high side. Wondering now whether to attempt tensioner replacement or just move the car on. I had wanted to keep it a good number of years, but if it has a stretched chain and changing the tensioner will only delay the inevitable, then maybe I should try to dodge the bullet.

I understand it could be the difference in the phase reading on each bank which indicates the amount of potential stretch in the chain, in my case 3 degrees between intake and exhaust on bank 2. Would be interesting to get a few comparisons from other forum readers with 3.2 FSI engines so we see what's normal.

Car has 105k miles and a brief rattle on startup which soon clears.
    Attached Images
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast