Guys/Gals, just used Caldirun's recent post (see below) regarding the above and hey presto, FIXED. My 131k Passat drivers door now opens like new! It is a very easy job, took me 10 minutes tops (& I have got 2 mechanic left hands, normally have to do jobs as a minimum twice!!). As Caldirun states however, don't completely unscrew, but it does have to turn a fairly long way before the barrel comes out. What I did is turn the screw, say 6 full unwinds, tried to remove the barrel, then turned 1 more time, tried again slowly, repeat etc, until the barrel came out. The cable lug is then the small black plastic head looking at you. Simply lift it up a bit, bring it forward and put back, which then takes the slack up. Easy. Thanks again Caldirun, much appreciated.

"Remove the round plastic cover in the door inner edge to expose the screw that locks the barrel in position. undo the screw with a torq bit, but do not remove it! Pull the handle a couple of mm out and ease the barrel out, the cable lug is now exposed, use long-nosed pliers to pull it out and push it back in a notch further out, test and repeat if still not right"