1. Angry RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I finally got my RNS315 SatNav replaced under warranty (display was intermittently freezing). Having spoken to customer care I was expecting to get one with 7 digit postcodes and possibly a map update. My car was only 6 weeks old when the update came out and customer care had said that I "probably would be eligible" for upgrade.

Well I got several surprises! When I checked the new SatNav, no DAB, no Bluetooth, no postcode update. All but the postcode update were attributed to "corrupt software load". A bit surprised - the blurb states that it is a factory load with updates from SD card.

As for the SatNav, VW technical state that the 7 digit postcode update was fitted from model year 2012 RNS315 units only. "It is currently not possible to update previous models of RNS315".

When deciding on the car I was told about the 5 digit issue but also that an upgrade was in the pipeline. I might have had to pay, but to be told that they can't do it is totally unacceptable.
    Passat SaloonTDi 170, Tech Sport Bluemotion, Tornado Red, Bi-Xenons, Park Assist, Heated seats

0 0 0

2. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is News to me !

I have been informed by VW I should be getting the update as soon as the SD cards are available, If I've understood you correctly there is no point in providing SD cards to update as you can't update ?!?
    VW CC GT in Dark Oak, 2.0TDi Bluemotion, Truffle Leather Interior with Ebony Trim - Now Arrived

VW Passat B7 Saloon in Night Blue, 2.0TDi Sport Bluemotion - Now Gone

0 0 0

3. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would be very interested in hearing how you get on. The information which I have is a print out from a Technical Service Handbook dated 5th Sept 2011. It states
    Technical Background
    Full UK postcodes were not included for licensing reasons

Production Change
    Full Uk postscodes are pre-installed in production with RNS315 MY12 software onwards

Measure
    Earlier vehicles currently cannot be updated to enable full UK postcodes. please note: Fitment of the version 2 map update SD card updates street mapping, but does not enable 7 digit postcodes.

Warranty Accounting Instructions
    There is no warrantable fault on vehicles upplied with version 1.
    Seems fairly clear to me - unless pre-installed in the factory you can whistle for 7 digit postcodes on the RNS315.RNS315 postcodes.jpg
    Passat SaloonTDi 170, Tech Sport Bluemotion, Tornado Red, Bi-Xenons, Park Assist, Heated seats

0 0 0

4. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had screen freezes with my RNS315 - do you know if it would be an option to pay and ungrade to the rns500?
    Passat B7 - White - Sport - 140PS BMT.

0 0 0

5. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeDubDan View Post
    I've had screen freezes with my RNS315 - do you know if it would be an option to pay and ungrade to the rns500?
    Assume that you mean the RNS510, AFAIK the 500 has never been an option on the B7. Sorry I don't know if VW would allow some trade back against the RNS315, but imagine that it might be unacceptably expensive - it was an £1100 upgrade option from the RNS315 when I ordered the car.

VW were quite happy to replace my RNS315 under warranty, but not one with 7 digit postcodes.

0 0 0

6. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, yea, that's what I meant. Think I'll just push for the warrenty change then if it's that price! ek!

Whilst on the subject, i've also had freezes when using the SD card slot, just completely locks up. Did you have something similar?

0 0 0

7. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That was from the options pricelist (£1135 today).

No problems (so far) with either SD slot or USB media-in. With my old unit the display used to just freeze and I'd only really notice when coming up to a junction and no voice prompt! Most times I could switch off and on again, it would remember the set journey and I could continue. However, on two occasions it would not respond to the On/Off button at all and I had to switch the ignition Off then On, before it would respond. Not a temperature issue because length of journey etc did not seem to affect whether it froze or not - just as likely to freeze on the 7 mile journey into work or a 150 mile journey up the motorway.

0 0 0

8. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well.... I think thats crap...

So in effect then the sat nav is only useful for navigating to places you've already been and saved as a flagged destination, and for going home... Well It looks like I'll have to carry on using the iPhone Navigon to get me there and use the VW Shatnav to get me back. Glad I didn't pay extra for it...
    Last edited by D4D; 08-07-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    VW CC GT in Dark Oak, 2.0TDi Bluemotion, Truffle Leather Interior with Ebony Trim - Now Arrived

0 0 0

9. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it works ok to be honest.

Put in the postcode - "BL1 5" for example - enter street "Bolton Road" - house number "15".

I don't see the problem with that.

0 0 0

10. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately most of the addresses I go to, whilst using the sat Nav, are business addresses, probably 80% of the 5 digit postcodes I put in with the address details provided, don't take me to within 3-5 miles of where I want to be. On the Navigon software I use the same information takes me to within 20 yards. I also use Lat Long a bit as well (to get me to parking spots, this info is usually provided by the customer) which I can't do with the VW software either.

Most of the private addresses I've used do take me to very near to where I want to be, but tbh all it saves is entering the town name, unless you want to go to Aberystwyth your not saving a great amount of time using the postcode, you may as well just enter the address.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast