Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea - I see your point.

I really do hate the fact I cannot scroll the point and say "take me THERE!" and touch the screen where I wanna go.

I go walking, climbing, MTB etc etc - basically lots of places that dont have a postcode. I know EXACTLY where I wanna go looking at google maps, so I wanna hit that destination (or long and lat or even OS co-ords! :-) ) and it take me there.

I find that most annoying.

I'm hoping someone will create a custom firmware patch at somepoint to modify the software.
    Passat B7 - White - Sport - 140PS BMT.

0 0 0

2. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently, with the MY12 version you can create a .vcf file that contains Lat Long, stick it on an SD and navigate to it. Which means you can find which mountain you want to ride down on google maps, right click and get the lat long and away !

I'm guessing we won't get that update
    VW CC GT in Dark Oak, 2.0TDi Bluemotion, Truffle Leather Interior with Ebony Trim - Now Arrived

VW Passat B7 Saloon in Night Blue, 2.0TDi Sport Bluemotion - Now Gone

0 0 0

3. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bottoms!

0 0 0

4. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A Skoda dealer implied that my 'Columbus' satnav could be updated but it would cost GBP180 - my car is a year old. Personally I think that a satnav that doesn't accept the full UK postcode is not fit for purpose when most cheap ones do. However, I don't suppose that a court would back that point of view - the dealer certainly didn't!

0 0 0

5. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What they should do is make it open architecture, so you could put any software you like on it, that way you can update nav/maps/voices etc without being limited by VW and being shafted for being limited... Just saying.
    VW CC GT in Dark Oak, 2.0TDi Bluemotion, Truffle Leather Interior with Ebony Trim - Now Arrived

VW Passat B7 Saloon in Night Blue, 2.0TDi Sport Bluemotion - Now Gone

0 0 0

6. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been testing the VW NavCompanion website from VW Labs and although it was aimed at the RNS510 originally, the VCF files it generates are accepted by the 315 if you have the W031 database in your 315. Lat and Long destinations are no problem.

This is the format it generates:-

BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:3.0
    CATEGORIES:VIP
    X-VIPCategory:Infrastructure
    ADR;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Stansted, Essex CM24;;;;GB
    X-NAVADDR:;;;;;;;;;
    GEO:51.892974;0.221224
    X-Flag:
    REV:20070614T125300z
    FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Stansted, Essex CM24, Stansted, Essex CM24, , , , GB
    UID:AddresBookPersistentProvider3
    END:VCARD

Regards

Firkle

0 0 0

7. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I forgot to add, the site writes the data out to a SD card which your 315 will read or import if you wish to.

Firkle

0 0 0

8. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That would be cool. I've having mine swapped out today as my head unit keeps freezing. I hope it comes with the new firmware.

0 0 0

9. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At long last I just had my 315 replaced under warranty - there was a loss of DAB signal and hanging up. So I now have the later model with the correct maps (no more 'off-road' ing, on roads built in the last few years that weren't on the old maps!) has full post-code entry, so I can navigate to place I've not been to, previously you needed to know where you wanted to go unless it was an address like 56, Oldham Road, Bolton for instance.. The phone now works as it ought to, proper hands free, push a screen button (where the old 'SOS' button was) and you're given a voice dial request...! Fantastic!! Keep pushing the dealer to replace it under warranty, perseverance seems to pay off.
    Passat Sport Est 140, Polo, A3, Karmann Ghia, MG TF, Lotus Elise.

0 0 0

10. Re: RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ian-f View Post
    At long last I just had my 315 replaced under warranty - there was a loss of DAB signal and hanging up. So I now have the later model with the correct maps (no more 'off-road' ing, on roads built in the last few years that weren't on the old maps!) has full post-code entry, so I can navigate to place I've not been to, previously you needed to know where you wanted to go unless it was an address like 56, Oldham Road, Bolton for instance.. The phone now works as it ought to, proper hands free, push a screen button (where the old 'SOS' button was) and you're given a voice dial request...! Fantastic!! Keep pushing the dealer to replace it under warranty, perseverance seems to pay off.
    what version of software is it? mine is W01 - my 315 has been replaced under warrenty but I think it's the same SW version.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast