1. Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello all, just bought a 1998 1.8 20v cabbie with mint bodywork and a mere 84k on the clock for £500 but the roof's being a pain, for a 'manual' roof there's a fair bit of electrickery going on!
    So here's where I am with it, ignition on, handbrake on, turn the T bar at the front and lift it up, no issues there. Lift the rear up and it locks as it should so you can get the deck lid up.
    Press the black button on the drivers door jam and the decklid pops as it should, but heres where it all goes wrong.
    The decklid will not lock back down again? There appears to be a motor in each latch which should return to a 'home' position to allow the latch to lcok but it doesn't. If I push the motors to their home position by hand the decklid locks down BUT if you then lock the car when you unlock it again the decklid latches release again???
    Now, I've rewired the boot looms with trailer cable so its not that, the ECU behind the rear seat can be heard to click on then off to release the catches followed by another relay type click on, a pause, then off which I'm assuming is the signal to reset the motors to their home position but they don't move.
    Anyone any idea's?

0 0 0

2. Re: Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Open the boot and detach the wiring in the conduits that are on the boot lid hinges. Open the tubes up and you will find broken wires.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply mate but I've already replaced both sides with 12N trailer light 7 core cable....

0 0 0

4. Re: Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need a diagnostic computer system with measuring blocks abilities. Start by reading for fault codes (there are 16 possible codes) and printing off any found. Delete all the codes and then try and operate the roof again, if you can’t, read the codes and see what has come back. In Measuring Blocks 08, Display Zones 1 to 4 have Measured Value Blocks with information as to what the various switches are doing and with a reference list for these and for the fault codes it should be possible to work out what is going on.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers crasher I've got vag com I'll get some readouts off it when I've plugged the latch motors back in and post them, I've seen some readouts and info on the hydraulic roofs but rod all on manual ones. Also I'm going to put lpg on the car and when looking for somewhere to put a tank have found what looks like a weight in the boot where the hydraulic pump would sit for the auto roof, any idea's why this is here?? seems odd to weigh it down....

0 0 0

6. Re: Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have seen that weight, it must be for weight balance, they do take things like that very seriously. PM me your email and I will send you the fault code and measuring block data.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Manual roof issues on a '98 cabbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    meas blocks roof down.jpgmeas blocks roof up.jpg

no idea what I'm looking at here TBH, first one is roof up second one is roof down.
    as all I need is the flap to open when I press the button and the lock motors to return to their 'home' position I think I'm ust going to make my own wiring system up.

0 0 0