1. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    This is THE best write-up on this topic online, anywhere.
    Really helpful, makes sense.
    Just did mine in about 30/45 mins (helps if you have a 3/4inch extension)
    I was dreading this, but really was quite simple, once I had the battery out anyway.
    I couldn't see where the original seal went for the pollen filter (it was missing), but as the original was fire-lighter dry I figured no need
    the 2 drain away plugs were gunked up to the max, finger wiggling it's way through 10 litres of water on top, beautiful
    Checked the bonnet release but even the foam on the inside was dry so I knew there was no ingress through there, the door seals are sound, so no issue there.
    Fingers crossed I don't have to do that one for 6 months or so

Did make me chuckle when I saw the DO NOT BEND sign on the back of that thick loom bundle though

0 2 0

2. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You just cant get any better than this

1 2 0

3. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Glad it is of use.

Its been on here a fair while now and I'm surprised it hasn't been added to by others who have done it. My way might not be the best way.

0 1 0

4. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    Glad it is of use.

Its been on here a fair while now and I'm surprised it hasn't been added to by others who have done it. My way might not be the best way.
    I'm looking forward to whenever you write a sex manual

0 2 0

5. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I just ask, is it obvious to see if water is collected in the chamber before removing everything? I have never had problems with water getting into the car so don't want to start messing if there is no need.

0 1 0

6. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    well I had what looked like silt dried up all around under the pollen filter and a tonne of leaves but again to get that far, you may as well do the whole thing only another 20 mins work

0 1 0

7. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes, you quite often see a lake sloshing about in there.

Check it after heavy rain or after washing the car. When blocked, they still drain but very very slowly and not fast enough for the water coming in to reach a level where it can go over the top of the pollen filter seal.

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nearly 11,000 views of this topic and less than 20 comments. That's amazing

1 2 0

9. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes indeed I concur, did mine today, again not had wetness issues, and it was dry and not as dirty as the above post, I couldn't poke the gromet out from under the master cylinder as there was something else attached to it, or else I would have, the drain hole under the battery was clear (previous owner must have removed the gromet), the other one had dreaded detritus in it, but only a bit. No signs of water being kept there, but my god there was so much detritus in the corners up by the pollen filter and the ECU, that took a while to get out.

Thank you so much for fantastic instructions, they worked a treat - I did slightly crack my cowling getting the battery out, but it's not too bad- rather that than risking breaking the windscreen putting the cowling back in.
    VW Passat Estate SE 1.9pd Tdi (130 AWX) 2002 162k

1 1 0

10. Re: Passat B5, B5.5 plenum drain cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Update.

It has been four years and one month since I did this. I still own the car and it is now fast approaching 140,000 miles, when I did the original I think it was a touch over 90,000 miles. I still love the car despite it being 11 years old now and have no plans on changing it.

Anyway, I thought it was time to do this again.

So.........

I whipped the plenum cover off. I knew it was still quite clean topside as I've done a few pollen filters in the time since I originally did it but wanted to check the drain holes and also to re-seal the ECU and pollen filter housings as they are renowned (well the pollen filter housing is) notorious for leaking even if the plenum drains themselves are clear.

What happens quite simply is the water wicks through the pollen filter housing gasket and down into the car. This would be water that comes down off the screen. The gasket on the pollen filter housing is a nasty thing, being rubber coated sponge. In time the coating breaks down and the water simply wicks through it.

Although I was aware of this issue I didn't know what to expect. As part of this little adventure I planned to do both the ECU and pollen filter housing and check the wiper rack. The wiper racks certainly on MK4 Golfs which are of similar vintage to the Passat are renowned for seizing up, so I thought I'd check it.

Plenum still clean, I put this down to me being careful where I park it and that it is garaged overnight.

Still clean from the other side as well

Amazingly I think the car is still on its original eleven year old battery

VW part number on the battery, I've tempted fate now, I'll probably need to replace it soon now..

Battery carrier off, still remarkably clean four years after I last did this.

ECU housing, this is with the lid off and after I'd jet washed the plenum.

Wiper rack. To get this out you need to remove the motor from the rack so you can then wiggle it out.

Wiper rack out, loads of cack behind

You can unclip the ECU and other connectors to allow the ECU housing to be moved out the way. The ECU housing used a neoprene gasket with no sponge in it. Mine was good and still doing its job. I could have left it as is, but you never know. It is worth checking.

A good clean up was needed, lot of debris under the housing.

All clean and drying off,

The pollen filter housing out, lot of cack at the back of it.

Knackered pollen filter housing gasket

Knackered gasket shown insitu

The bridge / water deflector over the pollen filter housing, this tilts to remove and until it is off the housing will not come out. Three nuts secure the actual housing.

My goo of choice. This is a butyl rubber sealer that doesn't set, very good stuff for this type of job and cheap as chips.

Polybutene

A good bead, then the gasket on top

The gasket on with another bead on that. This isn't ever going to leak!

ECU housing squidged down with the sealer oozing out around the edges, nice.

Pollen filter housing, a very deep bead of sealant! There is just enough room to get it place before you squidge it down.

Wiper rack spindle components cleaned prior to greasing up and re-assembly.

Almost done

A job well worth doing. I was getting mysterious misting up of the car interior which led me to do this.

1 4 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast