1. One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In the small hours of this morning, I took my brother in law and his girlfriend to Gatwick for their flight off on holiday - nothing really unusual about it, however it was 'one of those journeys' - you know the sort, that remind you just why you liked, and bought, your car.

I've not had a day off work since the end of June, and having finished work at half three yesterday afternoon, I was feeling quite weary as you can imagine, and not particularly looking forward to heading out at 2am to go to the airport. However, I said months ago that I would do it, and I am not one to go back on my word, so after no sleep (tried, to catch a few hours without success) I dragged my carcass out of bed just before one, had a strong coffee, and headed off.

The journey to the airport was uneventful (never seen the M25 so quiet!), and both passengers were comfortably delivered in good time for their flight. On the way back, stereo cranked up (to keep me awake), I found myself almost enjoying the experience, and being impressed all over again with the ride and handling from the car.

Overtaking on the motorway was a breeze thanks to the plentiful torque, and it was as smooth and quiet as anyone could ask for (particularly given the state of the road surfaces).

Yeah, they may have their faults (turbos, injectors etc), but there was definitely a reason behind making the purchase in the first place.........

All I need to do now, is hope that the Red Bull keeps me firing on enough cylinders to get through the next three or four hours and then to bed

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

2. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In my experience I've always found night-driving to be very satisfying. Not sure whether its weight of traffic or that the car is lit up in lovely blue and red, but I do enjoy it. plus, everything seems quieter too.

Glad you enjoyed it!
    A3 8V S-Line Cabriolet 2.0 TDI
    -------------------------------------------
    Passat B6 FSI • Passat TDI 105 • BMW E90 318d • BMW F30 320d Lux

0 0 0

3. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I travel every morning to work anything from 1am - 3.30am and I love the quiet roads. Its all A road and motorway right enough but the quietness is bliss. Full beam most of the way and the tunes up loud without a care in the world.

The only joy to going to work!

0 0 0

4. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    +1 definitely. Newest car I've had, and by far the best by a country mile. Better than my B5, and my MK2 GTI 16v (still have her).

Not too sure why VW changed the blue to white dials later on, was in a new B7 and doesn't feel as special as I'd have thought..

Love the smoothness, stability and weight when driving. The feel of solidity of the car. The sound deadening makes it a comfy place to whack up the stereo. A lot of the time I take the long way round just to enjoy the car!

0 0 0

5. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its nice when the car gives you a feeling of satisfaction - it can make the niggles all seem worthwhile.
    2014 VW Golf GT 2.0TDi Bluemotion

0 0 0

6. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercedeslimos View Post
    A lot of the time I take the long way round just to enjoy the car!
    I did that once. Then fuel prices rose. Fast.
    A3 8V S-Line Cabriolet 2.0 TDI
    -------------------------------------------
    Passat B6 FSI • Passat TDI 105 • BMW E90 318d • BMW F30 320d Lux

0 0 0

7. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had one of those drives last night. Mixture of motorways, A roads and country roads. The country roads were very smooth (surprisingly) amd all the roads were empty. Didn't pass a single person in 30miles! (this was at 2am on a Monday morning). Was able to open it up a little on the motorway, and blast through the corners on the country roads.

Love every minute of it and love driving late at night.

1 0 0

8. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I had a good journey last night, left north of stirling at 9pm, arrived back in Gosport at 3am this morning, left Glasgow put cruise on at 85mph did not touch brakes or disengage cruise until i got to the M6 toll booth southbound. Fantastic quet run.... But i was in an Auto Freelander HSE SD4 . as i had been working up in the mountains all week.

Just wish i could have used the Passat but i would have written it off on some of the tracks i was on.

Like people have said there is definately soemthing nice about driving at night.
    Corsa - But want an Audi!!!

0 0 0

9. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say, with the 19's on and lowered the car surprisingly feels very smooth and quiet on motorway.
    I usually get around 45 -48 mpg even with bigger wheels. Can't wait to fit the stock wheels on, so I can chuck it around corners
    For Sale: VW Passat 2.0 TDI Sport

0 0 0

10. Re: One of those journeys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good thread fc, and yes despite the niggles (and my tyre quote today!), I agree, it is a great car

I drive from Sussex to Heathrow daily for work, and having done this journey for 10 years, was going to look for a new job - until I got the Passat 30 months ago !

It just does everything you want it to do, with power,precision,quiet, efficiency and comfort.

It looks good, and it feels good - simply does what it say's on the box.

I often use the M25 at 4 am and sometimes midnight, and with it's legs stretched it really comes into it's own as a superb cruiser. Not bad around town either, can often achieve 40mpg, and it's pretty agile for a large saloon.

0 0 0