Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey folks

This is my first post so please go easy lol

Right well I've got a 56 plate passat with the electric handbrake.

It wasn't working and bringing up a fault. So I replaced the button and it's working fine but the lights still flashing. So I got it scanned at vw and it was the nearside motor. The quoted £480 to replace this. Needlessto say I said no just leave it.

Independent garages nearby want around £280 so not nearly as bad.

I jacked the car up the other day just to see whats what and found out the nearside motor isn't working at all. Caliper is working 100% though. So looks like I need a new motor.

Vw want around £250 for the motor. Looked on eBay and there's none. So looked for Audi a4 motors and came up with this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AUDI-A4-B8-A5 ... 2306wt_860

The passat part number is

3C0 998 281

And the Audi listing is

8K0 998 281

So the last 6 numbers are the same which leads me to think the part may fit and work. The only difference I can see is the plug. Its in a different position to the one on my car.

I also have another question that you may be able to help me with. It's about changing the motor

I've been told by a friend who used to work for vw that you can change the motors by themselves without the use of vds/vagcom.

He says that what I need to do is take the handbrake OFF, disconnect the battery, remove old motor and refit new one, then reconnect the battery. He says the ecu will not know it has been changed so when it runs it's checks it will see it is working again and the code will clear.

How true is this?

Cheers
    Greg

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Have you read through the thread "Parking brake and rear calipers" immediately below yours?
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have quickly read over it but no mention of the Audi motor fitting the passat?

So am I correct in saying I could remove the motor, strip it down and fix it, then refit it without the use of diagnostic equipment? It's just I know how complicated vw/audis are now so scared to do anything

Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    3C is the VWAG code for the Passat, 8K is for the Audi A4 if my memory serves me, the other 7 nos. are the same....

Read Martin1810's posts on this forum. There have been full details on how to strip and rebuild the motor, and how to refit it. If you search around you'll find all you need to know.

Good luck.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

5. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folx, being new here i have some info on this.
    I had both of my h/b motors replaced on monday. Both were cracked. The housing on them was cracked and it was caused by corrosion on the calipers, it had pushed against the body of the motor and thats what cracked it. This is an MOT failure (providing they see the cracks!). I was talking to another B6 owner and he said that in winter the cracks will allow water into the housing by capilary action, the water starts to corrode the parts inside the body of the motor and thats what makes them fail. In cold weather such as hard frost, and snow the water will freeze and probably open the crack a bit more, allowing more water in causing more corrosion.
    It cost me £620 to have both of them replaced with new original parts and fitted. Its all very well and good having an electric h/b but what was wrong with the original arrangement? Especially when the electric one is so darned costly to repair?

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markh75 View Post
    .....Its all very well and good having an electric h/b but what was wrong with the original arrangement? Especially when the electric one is so darned costly to repair?
    The electric handbrake is, like so many things on modern cars, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - in other words, a (very expensive) gimmick.
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very muchly!

I love my passat, its the best car i have had yet. Brilliant car, considering i got it with 130,000 miles on it, it has a full service history, and was well maintained. Pity the bloke that ran it didnt keep it clean!!!Just as well i had a good few years of car valeting behind me, took me two full days to get it the way i wanted it! The car does exactly what i want it to do! I'm prepared to pay for repairs as long as they dont get silly! Just had a recall on the injectors; they just replaced them, no messing about, that has saved me allot of munny! That must have cost VW quite a packet!
    My last car (pug 407) had many "toys" and the Passat doesnt, but thats okay, the only "gimmick" on the passat is the electric h/b, but i like it that way. Its a 2litre TDI, se saloon 57 plate, and still goes like s**t off a shovel!
    "You may fire at will"! Which one's will? do you know these people sir??? "Zulu's; fowsands of 'em! Right lads, dont fire until you see the whites of their eyes"! (They'd have won if they'd kept their eyes closed!!)
    Markh75, who drives a b6 57 plate Passat 2litre TDI SE saloon in silver, and sometimes closely tailgated by a caravan!

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg.w View Post
    I have quickly read over it but no mention of the Audi motor fitting the passat?

So am I correct in saying I could remove the motor, strip it down and fix it, then refit it without the use of diagnostic equipment? It's just I know how complicated vw/audis are now so scared to do anything

Cheers
    Yes,as long as you not fitting a new set of pads you can,just run it a couple of times on and off once done.

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking brake motor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HI Greg

have a look through a post i put up a while back too above vagcom codes and epb motors! I have successfully just changed the motor and the caliper (not brake pads) without using vagcom. to do it again would be very straight forward too (and i am no mechanic!)

HTH

0 0 0