1. Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Looking into buying an Avant Quattro or Allroad with the 2.5 TDi.
    I know there is an issue with the camshaft rockers etc on engines manufactured to 2002. According to Lyingpedia these were the engine codes and periods of use in the C5 models:

AFB: 04/97-05/00, AKN: 10/98-05/01, AKE: 11/99-08/03, AYM: 06/01-06/02, BFC: 07/02-08/03, BDG/BDH: 02/03-01/05, BAU/BCZ: 02/03-08/05

It looks like the B suffix engines were the re-engineered roller rocker solution.
    Are there some engines with an A suffix that were particularly susceptible?
    Is the issue related to lack of maintenance/ Extended service intervals?

I suppose my ultimate question is: Should I avoid anything with an A suffix or could low mileage (less than 150K) examples be worth a punt?

0 0 0

2. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Avoid any car on longlife service intervals, it's the daft servicing regime that lets the cams get damaged ! I actually prefer the AFB/AKE engines, they go to high mileage with decent servicing. I have high mileage engines(200k) in both my allroad and a4 quattro and no wear whatsoever.

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Even without variable servicing they can still wear. Although if 507 spec has been used it can prevent it. The previous owner of mine didn't have it on variable but did use 505 spec and there's considerable wear.

0 0 0

4. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Due to the age and miles on mine, I'm going to throw a bottle of ZX1 in during my next service. I'll report back here if it causes any problems.

0 0 0

5. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Padwick View Post
    Due to the age and miles on mine, I'm going to throw a bottle of ZX1 in during my next service. I'll report back here if it causes any problems.
    What is the age and mileage? Is this a preventative measure or a "what have I got to lose" measure?

0 0 0

6. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bit of both. It's rolling up on 95,000 miles and they're already worn (can see through the oil filler hole). Due to that mileage and to the car being the pre-facelift with the horrible soft suspension it's worth £2,000 tops I'd say, so I might as well give it a go.
    It also needs a timing belt, clutch, and flywheel soon and I'd rather see would this kill it before I shell out on those, rather than after.

0 0 0

7. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Now this illustrates the dilemma facing me. On the one hand Padwick with the cams wearing at 95K on the other hand Adams24 on 200K and alls well.
    It will be interesting to see what occurs (if anything immediately noticeable) with the addition of Zuperlube.
    I suppose as always it is down to luck and good service records.
    As a believer in and practioner of bangernomics there is always a fair amount of sheer luck involved in getting a good 'un.
    My 1987 Audi 100 Avant Quattro cost me £137 on ebay and has lasted me eight years with capital costs - as opposed to consumables at around £2000. £300 is a pretty tough benchmark to reach ....

0 0 0

8. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    My late 2001 Passat has the AKN engine, and 174,000miles.
    The cams look fine. It makes me wonder if it is primarily lubrication failure when this occurs.
    The car was on long life services for the first 90,000miles too, I have a database export of all the work done on the car from the previous owner (lease company) and there is no unscheduled engine work, so I have to assume they are the original ones.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

9. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've always wondered if this is down to the common failure of thermostats on these cars and if the wear occurs due to the engine running cooler.
    Also the oil retention valves under the oil filter housing. I tried changing these but couldn't get the turbo off.

0 0 0

10. Re: Question regarding 2.5 tDi Camshaft problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've a BDH engine and it all went a bit wrong last August with the cams after 172k.

- The engineer who inspected the vehicle concluded similarly to the mechanic that it was oil starvation that caused the destruction of the cams.

- However, the engine remanufacturers who took the engine apart concluded that, having seen enough of such problems with these engines, that it was a design fault with the hollow cam arrangement.

I've no idea if/when Audi have corrected the design for newer engines. Judging by the thread here it could well have been a bit of both factors acting together, or as one writer suspects, something to do with failing thermostats.

Hoping that a replacement BDH with 62k has less risk for me but thanks for the heads up about the thermostats.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast