Notices

User Tag List

Thread: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes?

1. Question PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So yesterday I waved goodbye to my trusty B6 130pd Avant and drove home in my new (07 plate) B7 170pd quattro s line Avant with a big smile on my face

Except... twice on the 250 mile journey (yes, I really drove a 500 mile round trip to buy a car ) the glowplug light started flashing and the car lost power. Not drastically - it was still driveable - but it was obvious I'd have to stop both times. So I did. Engine idling fine, glowplug lights still flashing. Engine off, wait a few seconds, restart, no flashing lights... and continue.

Both times I'd been driving hard-ish for 3-4 minutes just before the loss of power. The rest of the journey I was mostly driving at or close to the speed limit, not pushing the car at all, with brief bursts of, erm, enthusiasm (officer) that didn't last more than a minute or so.

I've booked the car in at my local Audi independent for a VAGCOM scan tomorrow morning, which should hopefully pinpoint what's wrong. But in the meantime, I'm open to suggestions. The tech I spoke to at the indie - who knows his onions and has always come up trumps in the past when there's been a problem - reckoned straight away it was a turbo issue. Which means a very big bill The extended warranty I took out doesn't cover the turbo...

I know it's all conjecture at this stage, but what are the other possible culprits?
    '07 A4 Avant 2.0PD 170 quattro s-line Special Edition and '94 T4 Westfalia California Club 2.4td fettled by ABT

0 0 0

2. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Theres a sticky on the injector issue with the 170s. May be a sign of failing injector. Get it scanned but in the meantime, check your warranty to see if it covers this.

Ad
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 BiTDi Black Edition 2016

0 0 0

3. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Ad. Yes, injector had occurred to me and yes, the warranty covers that* Funny how even the cost of an injector replacement pales in comparison to a new turbo...

* perversely although I'm covered by the warranty for injector failure I don't want it to be that, because afaik VAGCOM may identify impending injector failure but can't identify which one's causing the trouble. So my only option would be to carry on using the car, knowing that it's only a matter of time. Not ideal. Even if I suffer injector failure down the line, I'd prefer it to come out of the blue, because at least that way I won't be worrying about it the whole time! And yes, I bought the car knowing the 170s have a reputation for injector problems...
    '07 A4 Avant 2.0PD 170 quattro s-line Special Edition and '94 T4 Westfalia California Club 2.4td fettled by ABT

0 0 0

4. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    VCDS should be able to tell which injector has played up. I had it recently on mine, and it showed injector 1 (furthest from driver). But if not, as i understand, the only way is to disconnect each injector individually and see if the car starts!

Cheers

Ad

0 0 0

5. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. I have exactly the same problem on exactly the same car.
    I would be willing to bet that your problem is indeed turbo related with the following fault codes:
    00665 Boost Pressure Regulation Control Range Not Reached
    0299 Short With Power Intermittent
    I have read on here that this fault code is likely to be generated by a unreplaceable sensor on the turbo, meaning of course a new turbo.
    I was advised to try fitting a new AMM first to see if it could be the problem. I fitted it a week last Friday, but the car did it again on the Saturday, although the car is now smoother and quicker than it was previously.
    What I have found however, is that it always seems to happen under the same conditions, which is light acceleration on a slight incline.
    The last couple of times it has happened have also been during the DPF regen cycle. I'm now waiting for the next time to see if it is again during the regen cycle, as it would then maybe help an expert narrow down the exact cause.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    MMM
    A4 Avant S Line TDi 170 Quattro. Full two tone leather, Bose, RNS-E, Cruise, Heated seats, Privacy glass, Removable tow bar, Xenons, Aero wipers, MFSW, Rear parking sensors, OEM Bluetooth, RS4 grille.

0 0 0

6. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. Useful to know that an injector fault may be traceable.

Turns out it's the turbo: 17964 turbo overboost limit control (intermittent). I'm guessing clogged vanes.

Car mostly drives fine, but sticky vanes would explain the occasional tendency for nothing much to happen until c.2200rpm and then for all the torque to arrive at once with a massive shove in the back - feels like massive lag, although it only does it now and then.

I paid a good price though so even with a new turbo I'm doing OK. I'd rather not pay out, but it's just one of those things.

Thanks for your help, anyway!

0 0 0

7. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    daled Guest
    Sorry to sound like a thicko but how do you know when the car is in a DPF regen cycle

I have this model with 1 injector already failed and replaced but so far no turbo problems other than a massive kick in the back after a long delay getting to approx 2500rpm when the trubo kicks in

Other than these issues an otherwise great car

Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daled View Post
    other than a massive kick in the back after a long delay getting to approx 2500rpm when the trubo kicks in
    Thanks
    That is when you are in regen mode. Also You'll notice the car performs really badly but only lasts about 5-10 mins

0 0 0

9. Re: PD 170 limp mode - possible causes? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=daled;651422]Sorry to sound like a thicko but how do you know when the car is in a DPF regen cycle

I can tell when my car is in regen mode a number of ways. Firstly, it starts to sound like there is a hole in the backbox. When you're idling, a quick blip on the throttle seems to amplify it a bit.
    The driving characteristics change somewhat as well. It becomes very tetchy. By that I mean it's very jerky and sudden. You really notice the turbo kick in, almost like you're in a catapult.
    It can also feel like the car's missing a bit. Even as though it will cut out.
    I can sometimes smell it believe it or not. Smells like I've been braking very heavily! This isn't very often though.
    I can sometimes hear the exhaust tinkling. Similar noise to the noise your engine makes when you turn it off, but more hollow.
    Finally, a more basic way is to feel your tailpipes. They'll be really really hot.
    All these symptoms only last for 10-15 minutes and then normal service is resumed.
    Hope that helps.
    A4 Avant S Line TDi 170 Quattro. Full two tone leather, Bose, RNS-E, Cruise, Heated seats, Privacy glass, Removable tow bar, Xenons, Aero wipers, MFSW, Rear parking sensors, OEM Bluetooth, RS4 grille.

0 0 0