Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS

1. Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    grudgey Guest
    Hi

I'm new here and would like some help please.

I am retro fitting an RNS 510 Sat Nav unit in my 2007 EOS 2.0TDI

Will I need the following upgrade????

CAN Gateway

http://www.vwcruise.com/120.html

Any help will be very much appreciated

Grant

0 0 0

2. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this your car?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Eos_(1F)

If so it looks like it has CAN already.
    Lupo 6X 1.0 SE Black Sharan 7N 2.0 Bluemotion SE DSG Pantheon Grey

0 0 0

3. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No you shouldnt need it in a 2007 car. Your original gateway should be OK.

0 0 0

4. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

I know this is an older thread,

I was looking for some advice on a similar issue.

I currently have a 2007 EOS 2.0T FSI, DSG. With the Basic Climate Control and RCD300 without MP3.

I hope to upgrade the RCD 300 to an RCD510 and also upgrade the Heater/AC Control unit in the dash to the new Scirocco/ EOS 2011 type.

I have spent the last few weeks reading forums and information on this change, and although the parts and the fitment seem straightforward, im not sure about compatibility.

Has anyone done this kind of upgrade? Has it worked... Will I also need a new CAN BUS? Will I need anything else to make it work?

I'm trying to avoid buying all the parts at a cost of up to £500 then find out they are not compatible.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Danny

0 0 0

5. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Congratulations on the first Eos posting for over a year. It's not an often visited part of the forum, so answers aren't going to come thick and fast.

Firstly, heating and A/C. Not sure what the Scirocco/Eos 2011 type is or looks like, but it may be far from straight forward. If it's just a cosmetically better looking version of the manual controls, then why bother?

If what you are looking for is the full-blown climatronic system (LCD display, different temperatures each side, etc.) than this would be a whole heap of trouble to do. There are threads on the Golf part of the forum about doing this and the long and the short of it is that it's better to buy a car with the A/C you want rather than deal with all the hassle of taking the entire dash out.

As for the radio swap, ask the same question in the Golf or ICE parts of the forum. Golf, Eos and Passat of that vintage are all much of a muchness. We have both a 2007 Golf and a 2007 Eos and I've had the radio out of both - there's no real difference apart from the Eos is a bit more fiddly to extract. I

If all you really need is MP3 then any RCD 300 from after mid-2007 will do the job - you could look for a second hand one with the "MP3" logo on the front.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

6. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Congratulations on the first Eos posting for over a year. It's not an often visited part of the forum, so answers aren't going to come thick and fast.

Firstly, heating and A/C. Not sure what the Scirocco/Eos 2011 type is or looks like, but it may be far from straight forward. If it's just a cosmetically better looking version of the manual controls, then why bother?

If what you are looking for is the full-blown climatronic system (LCD display, different temperatures each side, etc.) than this would be a whole heap of trouble to do. There are threads on the Golf part of the forum about doing this and the long and the short of it is that it's better to buy a car with the A/C you want rather than deal with all the hassle of taking the entire dash out.

As for the radio swap, ask the same question in the Golf or ICE parts of the forum. Golf, Eos and Passat of that vintage are all much of a muchness. We have both a 2007 Golf and a 2007 Eos and I've had the radio out of both - there's no real difference apart from the Eos is a bit more fiddly to extract. I

If all you really need is MP3 then any RCD 300 from after mid-2007 will do the job - you could look for a second hand one with the "MP3" logo on the front.
    Hi Thanks for your reply,

So I have been researching this over the last few weeks and I agree. I found a step by step on upgrading to Dual zone and its a dash out job right enough. I don't want squeaks when I refit it... so thats been scrubbed off in favor of replacing the switches with a bit of chrome to modernise the look. It was always more the look than the function i was keen on.

As for the head unit. I have had a few Golfs now and the MP3 vrs Non MP3 was not really the core reason. Again it was the esthetic look and the touch screen I wanted. I have since learnt that the CANBUS gateway needs to be replaced in some instances. Not all units need this. Many find that the RNS310 and the RCD510 units do not need an updated gateway, however a sporadic few experience battery drain issues. If this is the case then a new CAN BUS would be needed. Additionally If you buy a new CANBUS Gateway then it needs to be programed and you need another cable of £16-£300 the cheaper ones are said to be cheap and nasty copies and can damage the car.

If you look hard enough you can get a CANBUS on Ebay thats already pre coded for about £80. So I have bought an RCD510 and I am waiting on arrival. I will soon see if I need a CANBUS Gateway. If i do i have been in touch with an ebay seller thats confident he can provide me with a new unit thats plug and play. You do need to provide him with details of that your car has when leaving the factory... so you need to know your car. I have the fortune of selling VW/Audi at the time my car was sold and also have all the brochure and extra information.

Hope this helps other people trying this project!

Kind Regards
    Danny
    Last edited by Danb28; 28-03-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Typo

0 0 0

7. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good luck and please report how you go on. I've thought about doing a swap on my wife's Eos for some time, but just never got around to it.

Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

8. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any update on this as im doing the same

0 0 0

9. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisj82 View Post
    any update on this as im doing the same
    Hey bud. Yes completed this. RNS 510, new mk6 mfsw with paddle shift. Canbus upgrade and mfsw computer unit upgrade.

All went to plan. Cost a few bob though. Brought it right up to date.

Danny

0 0 0

10. Re: Retro fitting an RNS 510 in my 2007 EOS 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi where you feed the gps up through and mount it ?

0 0 0