Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Everyone

Hope you're all well!

I need some help. I am trying to source a part and am having huge difficulty. My warranty company will not cover the repair therefore I need to source the part myself and then my local garage will do the work for me.

The part number is 1K0998455. Which is a double fan assembly unit thingy (words of the garage!). I have tried all the online parts websites etc and they are all saying that you only get genuine Audi or VW parts which needs to be from a dealer - which is really expensive.

Does anyone know anywhere else I can get the part from? Genuine ideally.

Basically my car has come up with this error:

18354 Control Module 1 for coolant fan Defective P1946 No signal / No communication intermittent

So we think by getting that part, the problem will be resolved.

Any help will be muchly appreciated!! :-)

Nat

0 0 0

2. Re: Newbie needs help - coolant fan issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For a starter, can you tell us the year and engine code? The engine code will be on the sticker in your service book or your spare wheel well.

Is this one of the original (1998-2003 8L) cars?

You say it's a double fan assembly, but it has a control module error? I can't find either of those codes on the ross tech fault code lists. The part code you quote appears (from google) to be a set of fans for a VW touran.

On the 8L, I think that the coolant fan is controlled by a 4 pin switch in the left hand side of the radiator. This is fed by one of the 30A fuses on top of the battery (I had mine apart on Saturday)

Perhaps it would help if you told us the symptons of the problem, and what fault finding has been carried out.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

3. Re: Newbie needs help - coolant fan issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Sorry.

53 Plate, A3 2.0 FSi Sport. 6 Speed Manual, Petrol.

I am at work so dont have the engine number to hand - I have the chassis number though: WAUZZZ8P44A072786. Does that help?

I was told it is the sensor that has had it. The car basically sounds like its a plane about to take off! The fans are always on, even when it is cold at night, so I havent been driving it. The code is what came out of the diagnostics test.

Do you think they have told me the wrong part then?

0 0 0

4. Re: Newbie needs help - coolant fan issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yours is an 8P chassis (the bit after the WAUZZZ of your VIN), so that would account for why I wasn't expecting it to have a fan control module.
    It's a 53 plate, but a 2004 model year.

Try reposting in the A3 8P forum

Also have a look at this thread - it's not the same symptoms as yours, but it might have some helpful advice.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

5. Re: Newbie needs help - coolant fan issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks.

0 0 0

6. Re: Newbie needs help - coolant fan issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickPicks View Post
    Also have a look at this thread - it's not the same symptoms as yours, but it might have some helpful advice.
    Ha ha ha ha ha! Even if the thread isn't helpful it will cheer you up! I was nearly wetting myself!!!
    AUDI A3 1.8T 2001 X AUM AUTO LHD DENTS DIRTY-CARPETS!

0 0 0