Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys ,

my new puchase an A6 saloon 2008 has nice chrome strips along the bottom of windows
    but they are a bit blotchey looks like water marks i was told that they are alloy is this correct and how can i clean them without ruining them ?? help.

cheers, simon

0 0 0

2. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry mate, I don't think you can.
    I have the same problem on my 07 plate and have had 2 replacement sets all went the same way....They're not actually chrome but plastic with a "chrome" veneer........water gets underneath and causes the blotchy watermarks / cloudy effect you see

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

3. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers jim, any idea how much they are to replace.??

simon

0 0 0

4. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Simon,
    I was lucky enough to have 2 sets replaced under warranty / goodwill as I have a really good relationship with my dealer.....not many do and usually fobbed off with various excuses such as, must be using harsh chemicals etc!

From memory, they were around £50 each so you're looking at £200 + vat + fitting which is kinda expensive!!

I know they take away from the look of the car and trust me when I tell you it REALLY bugs me too, but having had 2 replacement sets and being extra careful AND still having the problem, in all honest I wouldn't pay the money myself, but it's up to you.

hth

Jim

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

5. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers jim, many thanks will see wat i can do to remedy it ,

thanks again, simon.

0 0 0

6. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have no clue of this as in i am also facing the same problem i am planning to take it to an automotive shop.

0 0 0

7. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I may try and get mine replaced under warranty next time im in Audi. They really make the car look untidy when its clean and you cant miss it getting into the car.

Wonder if they would swap them for the black coloured pieces?

0 0 0

8. Re: chrome cleaning??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    you can polish them with a medium or finishing polish and then seal them with a good sealant or put a wax over them to protect the finish which if done well it will protect it from happening again.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From previous experience I'd highly recommend ACF-50 it's an aircraft grade anti corrosion spray and is the business

0 0 0