Motorsport Newsletter 07/2011: Audi Terminals attract attention

• Successful trackside debut of the Audi Terminal concept
  • Quality award for Audi Sport Team Rosberg
  • Michèle Mouton visits the DTM at Hockenheim

Ingolstadt, May 1, 2011 - At the DTM season opener Audi thrilled visitors at Hockenheim with its impressive new Terminal concept architecture. Thanks to prominent guests and various activities many other eyes were drawn to the four rings this weekend as well.

Trackside debut of the Audi Terminal architecture: Four new mobile facilities attracted major attention by fans, media and guests at Hockenheim. The Audi Fantreff (meeting place for fans), the Audi Shop, the Audi Lounge and the new Audi Team & Media Hospitality featured Audi’s new architectural line for mobile facilities for the first time in motorsport. The next appearance of the mobile terminals will be next weekend at the 1000-kilometer race at Spa.

Timo Scheider extends his congratulations to Borussia Dortmund (BVB) on winning the German Soccer Champion’s title. "I’m totally happy," said the soccer fan. "There are two hearts beating in my chest. Naturally, thanks to Audi, there are close ties to soccer through FC Bayern München. I’m particularly pleased about yesterday’s title win by BVB because my parents are from Dortmund and I’m a huge fan of the club."

Award ceremony: After a quality assurance inspection Audi Sport presented Audi Sport Team Rosberg with an award for the best-prepared DTM race car. The Playboy Audi A4 DTM driven by Edoardo Mortara was the car which most accurately complied with Audi Sport’s specifications. More than 1,000 places on the bodywork were measured and compared with CAD design data. Rosberg visits Rosberg: Nico Rosberg paid a brief visit to Audi Sport Team Rosberg just before the DTM race at Hockenheim. At the pits the Formula 1 driver was welcomed by team director Arno Zensen and many mechanics who worked together with him during his previous career with his own team.

Meeting between generations: The current Audi factory driver Rahel Frey welcomed Michèle Mouton at Hockenheim on Saturday. Today, Mouton, the runner-up of the 1982 World Rally Championship in the Audi quattro and first female Audi factory driver, is the chairwoman of the FIA’s Women & Motor Sport Commission and WRC manager. Mouton, who hails from France, also organizes the annual Race of Champions.

Celebrities in the pit lane: Martin Tomczyk and Timo Scheider gave the former Miss World, Rosanna Davison, authentic insights into the DTM at Hockenheim. The Norwegian band Madcon, who had traveled to Hockenheim for the ARD Chart Show paid a visit to Mattias Ekström at his garage.

Mammoth racing commitments for two factory drivers: Mike Rockenfeller and Marcel Fässler are running at races for Audi on three consecutive weekends. After the test day at Le Mans (April 24), both are again on the road on this and the next weekend. Mike Rockenfeller contested the DTM season opener at Hockenheim. Marcel Fässler was in Ingolstadt on Thursday for a seat fitting for the R18 TDI. On Saturday he contested the second round of the VLN Endurance Championship in the Audi R8 LMS and finished fourth in his class. As early as next Wednesday both will travel to Spa for round two of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup (ILMC).

A brief interview with Martin Tomczyk

You finished your DTM debut with Audi Sport Team Phoenix as the best driver of a year-old car in fifth place. Was this the kind of beginning you’d been hoping for?
Throughout the weekend we saw that the team, the car and the driver fit together well from the outset. After qualifying it was clear that we were set on moving forward and attacking. The duel with Maro Engel was very tough, but very good. It was definitely fun. Afterward I also fought with Ralf Schumacher. We can be pleased.

This way you’ve also shown potential critics what you’re capable of...
I’m a sportsman and make the best of what’s available to me. The overall package fits and is fast. I never had any doubt about being quick myself. If I really needed to prove that, then I have done so at Hockenheim.

What are your personal expectations of Zandvoort?
It’s a demanding and a great track. I’m eager to see how it feels on the new Hankook tires and how the differences between the vehicle generations will level off. I feel that we’ll be competitive again. Let’s be surprised. Our goal remains to be the best driver of a year-old car again.

Coming up next week

May 07 Spa-Francorchamps (B), ILMC, round 2
May 07 Knutstorp (S), NEZ GT Championship, round 1
May 08 Algarve (P), FIA GT3 European Championship, round 1
May 08 Portimao (P), Portuguese GT Championship, round 2