Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there anyone reading,

I have an A6 1.9tdi SE with a 6 Speed manual box. Every now and then it becomes difficult to select reverse, some times it is impossible and I end up having to push what feels like a tank so that I can drive forward. First gear can also be a bit on the notchy side some times.

Other than this the car pulls fine and I don't suspect that the clutch is on the way as there is no signs of slipping or problems pulling away. At speed the gear changes feel smooth.

I have read on some of these posts about changing the Gbox oil which seems like the cheapest option (if it works). Is there any other problems that may be effecting this that I could get checked out? and how much will a Gbox oil change cost (not at audi, I didn't get six numbers).

This is an intermittent fault so I never no when its going to strike. Any help will be awesome.

Cheers in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You don't mention mileage, but it sounds like the fingers on the
    pressure-plate are weakened/worn, or the same with release-bearing
    or leaver/fork. This means a new clutch is needed.

A less common reason could be that the clutch-slave cylinder
    needs bled. Its worth a try.

Regards
    Jim

0 0 0

3. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mileage is 161,000 most of which was no doubt gained from motorway driving as it used to be owned by a managing director of a company.

Oh and is there a way to check all that without having to replace bits. Are these faults visible or is it a case of swap stuff until it works hoping that the first thing works.

0 0 0

4. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Drama and guess work continues;

Today I set off out of my drive in reverse, no problems, then I moved into 1st and drove forward, no problems, then I changed up into 2nd and heard a crunch like noise.

At this point I decided to change my original destination and head for the garage. I stopped at a T junction to giveway and then tried to select 1st, it wouldn't go into 1st or any other gear for that matter. I eventually got the car into 2nd and pulled off saying a little prayer before every gear change I managed to get to the garage.

I booked the car in, the bloke in the garage seems to think that the linkage may need adjusting or that it may be a oil issue. I hope this is the case as a brand new shiney gearbox wasn't on my Christmas list to Santa.

I then set off back home and enjoyed smooth gear changes all the way home. *** is going on? Why does my car always play crazy "I'm broke, no I'm not, Hah yes I am" tricks on me

0 0 0

5. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When it will not go into gear turn the engine off and try engaging the required gear. If all is well then I suspect clutch drag. You may even have a DMF problem. Regards Peter

0 0 0

6. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It wouldn't even go into gear with the engine off this morning. I had to force it into gear. Afterwards it seemed fine. Whats a DMF? I'm still hoping its a linkage or oil problem.

Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's not going in to gear with the engine stopped, I'd suspect the linkage may not be aligned properly. If you let us know the engine and gearbox codes, we can probably tell you how to check and align the linkage properly.

The DMF is the dual mass flywheel (which is quite expensive).
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

8. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if these are the correct codes but they are on a sticker in my service schedule

A6 Avant TDI1.9 R4
    96kw M6S 03/04
    AVF ---- GVS

There is more info on the sticker but I'm guessing what your asking for is amongst the above.

Thanks for your help

0 0 0

9. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm now able to select gears but they tend to be quiet sticky/stiff/not right even with the engine off. I'm taking it to the garage tommorow, hoping that it's something simple and cheap. I'll keep you all posted.

0 0 0

10. Re: Problems selecting reverse (6speed manual) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm well interested in this myself as mine sounds very loose when changing gears with engine off and clunks loudly when selecting while driving as I disengage the clutch.
    I was going to bleed the clutch but couldn't locate the the correct bleeder to buy and I'm afraid a garage will just change my clutch and dmf whether I need one or not.
    6 speed also but its a DQS.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast