1. My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A few days ago i heard that our road going demo had arrived and already had its PDI and plates from factory and slipped straight into the dealer principles (DP) hands... Shame as i was lloking forward to prepping it and taking it for its first proper drive, never mind....

Anyway The DP came in today and handed the keys to myself and the other R8 tech for us to have a go, see how it drives ect.... It was phantom black with lava grey blades, very nice.... I prefer carbon blades IMHO but hey im not complaining. She was also an R-tronic, now this was my first time in an Automated manual, and was quite weird to get used to at first but after a while it became quite good. It is a strange feeling having to take up the drive by pressing the accelerator instead of feeling it through your clutch foot. i have driven many many auto's before too and wow was it totally different... R-tronic is great in manual mode, the paddles are very good, and also the stick is good, i found myself naturally going for the stick rather than the paddles. really easy to get used to, very quick and very smoothe.. Also had a go in auto mode, and didnt enjoy it as much, as it was not as smoothe, you could really feel each gear change, but then you have to remember it is still a manual gearbox with a dry clutch, just automated etc.... But in all honesty i would stick to driving it manual mode....

I obviously could not give it full throttle, or go over 6,000rpm as ahe was still being run in, but WOW what a car, even not full throttling it and going over 6,000 rpm she was still a beast, and you could feel the car wanting to push you to push its limits. I only had her for an hour and had to really restrain myself from nailing it, so my thoughts are with all you that recieve the R8! its tough holding yourself back in the running in period!!!

The noise coming from the engine is incredable, you can hear everything that you do, drop it down a gear and you can hear it rev, accelerate and you can feel and hear it, but was nice that it was not too loud that you couldnt not enjoy it, i think Audi have got the right balance There. The car had a B&O system, but i must be honest i did not want it on, the sounds from the engine were just fantastic.

The brakes were also amazing, you can really tell, that this car is racetrack designed for on road living because they were awesome, lightest touch and you could feel the power of the big brakes pulling you back.... And these were just standard not ceramic! I can imagine that on a track these brakes will be amazing.

The general ride of the R8 was also fantastic, i felt i had so much road presence, like i owned the road. This R8 had magnetic ride, and for the first time i really got to experience it. i was driving along the road only doing about 40 and she was very very smoothe, hit the mag ride button and instantly felt the ride get harder and i could feel bumps and inperfections in the road, hit it off and back to smoothe!!!! Amazing! I would definatl opt for this mag ride. The R8 had standard seats fitted, as Uk are not having buckets just yet, but it was very very comfortable.... you forget your in a super car, the car kind of moulds to you and you and the car become connected in a way, i could feel everything that was going on, and felt so so so...... KING OF THE ROAD!!!

One of the best things about the car, which i think alot of people may need to get used to is.... My god does everyone stare at you! it is the biggest head turner i have ever seen, i mean literally everyone was looking, jaws dropping, even people with thumbs up! if your not one for attention, this is not the car for you, personally i loved it!!!

There is alot of talk about figures, lap times, what is faster, what is better, etc... All i say is just wait till you get your R8, all that will go out of the window and just pure driving pleasure will be all that your interested in, as The R8 is a pure pleasure to drive, fast and around town. Its not always about who is faster and what else is quicker, its about how good the whole car is and how it makes you feel (ull feel like a megastar). everyone that has an order of one of these, your very lucky, be patient, because it is so so so worth the wait!

I will add some pics, if i could find my Bloody data cable....

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Looks like a fantastic car.... thanks for the write up, look forward to the pictures
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder
    Member of the Institute Of Advanced Motorists
    Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

3. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    R8ROB..... I 8 ya

Grrreeeeeeenn with envy

Haven't even seen one in the flesh yet but WOW. My wife took one look and said "don't like it!" WHHAAATTT? Says a lot about me when her taste is that bad

0 0 0

4. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWills View Post
    R8ROB..... I 8 ya

Grrreeeeeeenn with envy

Haven't even seen one in the flesh yet but WOW. My wife took one look and said "don't like it!" WHHAAATTT? Says a lot about me when her taste is that bad

I saw one in Portadown Audi... loved it but will never be able to afford it...

0 0 0

5. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We have a couple here in Birmingham, one parked on the side of the road in the centre quite regularly (in white with silver blades) and another I've seen about which must be a higher spec.

Got to say the one guy I've seen with it is a complete c*ck which is unfortunate.
    2005 Audi A3 Sport 1.9 TDi, Cherry Red Pearl, 6CD Multichanger, Multi-function sterling wheel, Telephone Prep
    2011 Audi Q5 S-Line 2.0 TDi Quattro, Daytona Grey Pearl, Interior Light Pack, 3 Zone Climate, AMI, Comfort Pack

0 0 0

6. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Great write up well done. The engine sound over the Audio system any day . A superb sounding V8 indeed.

You drive a supercar and you will get attention, probably one of the things you either love or hate.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

7. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Incidently I was wondering does the R8 sound like the RS4?
    One German, Two Italian.

0 0 0

8. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    RS4 is much better looking than this thing! by a mile. and ive already seen more r8's than i ever have rs4's.

totally unimaginative choice for rich business types, and looks horrid. rs4 has bags more class.

0 0 0

9. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I tend to agree with you Rubezz for the most part. If I could I would own a F355 and an RS4 as a daily. However I do rate the R8. It is quite unique and they do sound glorious. The trouble I have with it, is it looks like a TT or an A5 from the front at a distance. Not bad cars (in fact the A5 is a beaut) either of them but if it was me I would want it to look different.

Still a blinding car but give me the Fezza any day of the week.
    One German, Two Italian.

0 0 0

10. Re: My first real R8 drive 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Running in? Really in this day and age?
    A7 S line quat 204PS S-tronic Moonlight Blue, front/rear cam, presense+, Ins priv glass, Adv Key, Adapt light/High-beam assist, Ambient lighting, Tech Pack Adv, adap air susp, Towbar, Dyn steering, Elec steer col, Thru load/ski bag, Htd front/rear seats, Black styling, Rev luggage comp mat, Speed limit disp, Full Ext mirror pack, Parking+/park assist/gap measurement&steering assist, 4-zone clim cont, Rear ent, HDD satnav/MMI3G

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast