1. Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2004 Allroad makes a gentle clunking noise when I pull away. Its not a loud noise and it sounds just like I've driven over something in the road. The car makes the noise three times (each on about 50 yards after the previous) and when its good and mobile the noise disappears. it is loudest on the first of the three times. It makes the noise every time I pull away.

It sounds as if the noise comes from the rear of the car (suspension bushes or diff are my main suspects) but it could easily be elsewhere in the transmission. The car has just passed its MOT with nothing irregular being reported in relation to the rear suspension bushes.

Does anyone have any guidance for me please before I give my VISA number to the main dealer?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have exactly the same problem. Would love some advice as to what this may be. I initially thought it may be the tryes but after a complete change out the 'clunking' remains.

Any info greatfully recieved!

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could it just be that the rear pads have slightly stuck on with the handbrake, and you are just hearing some localised surface corrosion on the discs rubbing against the pads?

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine has made a cluking from the rear when pulling away and breaking. Its only a slight clunk and its quite rare now. Im pretty sure its the compressor shutting off or running for some reason! The noise comes from the spare wheel well, at first i thought there was something rolling around in there. But after it happened a few times i managed to catch it when i had the stereo off, i noticed the cluck happened with a relay click from the dash. It happened alot when i had a leak on the front airbags, now there replaced it happenes once every few weeks/months.

Cheers
    Lee
    2001 Allroad 2.7 Bi Turbo Quattro

1998 A6 2.4 SE Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've solved my rear clunks by replacing front suspension bushes. Bizarre, I know.

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhaslam View Post
    I've solved my rear clunks by replacing front suspension bushes. Bizarre, I know.
    I've had this rear clunking for a while, but its worse now, seems worse when driven for a while, which front suspension bushes were changed?

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allan_audi View Post
    I've had this rear clunking for a while, but its worse now, seems worse when driven for a while, which front suspension bushes were changed?

Sorry, can't remember off hand - will check my receipts and come back to you.

Cheers, Simon

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine clunked, it was a worn link in the nearside rear suspension, changed and ok now

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it possible this is just the suspension trying to re adjust when you are causing the car to squat by setting off. I would have thought a link or joint in the suspension would only have cluncked once.

Charlie

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad rear clunks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After you have set off, every acceleration or deceleration, braking or turning, hitting a bump, will act on any worn suspension joints causing movement, further wear or maybe more clunking! You need your suspension checking!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast