Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Software issues after Towbar fitting!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone.

Hoping someone can assist in answering my questions to an issue I've now
    encountered following fitment of a Westfalia detachable towbar to my new Q7.
    I took delivery of the car 2 weeks ago, but didn't have the dealer fit the bar as they wanted £2500 for the job!!

Anyway, the genuine westfalia detachable bar & wiring kit was ordered through Towequipe at a fraction of the cost. I had it fitted by a local company yesterday, but on collecting the car, the Windows won't work (driver's window is in the down position incase the car locked when they connected the battery following the fitment). The lines of the projected path of the vehicle whilst reversing are no longer present on the reversing camera, the folding mirrors won't fold and the central locking won't operate.. infact the boot won't even open! I also have a flashing yellow coil symbol on the instrument cluster when the engine is running?

I have the car booked into my local Audi dealership for Tuesday, hoping it will be software updates which need resetting.

has anyone else encountered this following towbar fitment?

The company which fitted the bar disconnected the battery, which they stated was necessary.

Thanks

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I think you might have to tell the car it now has a towbar. See what Audi says when it goes in.

0 0 0

3. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Chris. I suspect that will be the case. I was aware the car would require re-coding for the towbar, so the car could recognise when something was connected to the towbar, but I really didn't expect the central locking, windows and other things to be inoperative. It's just as well I can fit the car into my garage rather then having to leave it in the street or on the driveway!

Hope it's all sorted on Tuesday and will post an update.

Thanks
    Ian

0 0 0

4. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ian, I wish you nothing but joy when you visit the dealer tomorrow. However, I had a retrofit towbar on my Touareg which introduced irritating intermittent electrical issues that were never completely resolved. made me determined to have a factory fit on the Q7

Hope a reboot will sort it for you, and make all the towing parameters function.

Cheers, Andy
    2007 3.0TDI SE Condor Grey with all the bells and whistles

0 0 0

5. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy.

Thanks for your message. I sincerely hope the software updates will put all the gremilns to bed. Once I've had the reboot, I'll provide an update on here. Yes, know what you mean about having factory fit towbar! The cost of £700 was reasonable and that's what I really wanted, but unfortunately I would have lost out on the deal on offer by Audi (They were contributing £6500 and finance was at 5.4%, making my payments very reasonable indeed).

Of course the dealer was happy to fit a bar for £2500, but that was silly money, hence the reason I've taken this option. Well, only time will tell whether it was the right choice?

I'll let you all know tomorrow!

Thanks
    Ian

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick61 View Post
    Hi everyone.

Hoping someone can assist in answering my questions to an issue I've now
    encountered following fitment of a Westfalia detachable towbar to my new Q7.
    I took delivery of the car 2 weeks ago, but didn't have the dealer fit the bar as they wanted £2500 for the job!!

Anyway, the genuine westfalia detachable bar & wiring kit was ordered through Towequipe at a fraction of the cost. I had it fitted by a local company yesterday, but on collecting the car, the Windows won't work (driver's window is in the down position incase the car locked when they connected the battery following the fitment). The lines of the projected path of the vehicle whilst reversing are no longer present on the reversing camera, the folding mirrors won't fold and the central locking won't operate.. infact the boot won't even open! I also have a flashing yellow coil symbol on the instrument cluster when the engine is running?

I have the car booked into my local Audi dealership for Tuesday, hoping it will be software updates which need resetting.

has anyone else encountered this following towbar fitment?

The company which fitted the bar disconnected the battery, which they stated was necessary.

Thanks
    Nothing to do with software updates more like poor installation and incorrect coding also reset the reverse camera and it's going to cost you as the dealer will not cover any warranty work affected by 3rd party retro fit

Sent from my iPhone using
    My fat fingers
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

7. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well car went into dealership for diagonstics and turns out the car has gone into some emergency mode, shutting everything down other than the essentials? Only problem being, even the dealership couldn't re-set the software back to factory settings, so the car is now at the dealership for a few days while they try and sort out the faults!!

If this poor installation, I'll be seeking compensation from the company which undertook the work, as they are supposed to be professional installers??

0 0 0

8. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ian, Sorry to hear that, some anxious days ahead. Such things do take the gloss off the ownership experience. Hope it gets properly fixed.

Cheers, Andy
    2007 3.0TDI SE Condor Grey with all the bells and whistles

0 0 0

9. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy.

Yes, it has taken the gloss of the new ownership experience somewhat!! Nevertheless, the car is in the hands of the right people now and a lesson has been learnt. I have asked for a detailed report of the software issues, which if necessary I can present to the company which fitted the towbar. Fair enough having to pay for upgrading the software to recognise a trailer attached to the towbar.. this I was prepared to pay for, but the remainder is over and above. I'll update on here once I have more information.

Thanks again
    Ian

0 0 0

10. Re: Software issues after Towbar fitting!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    There is no software update

There are two methods

1 manual coding

2 svm coding

your problem will be compatibility of the after market can bus control unit and coding how the vehicle electrics have been spliced into

see it all the time from 3rd party tow bar fitters

next you will tell us the refrigeration charge circuit doesn't work and the battery goes flat

sorry to be blunt but expensive cars don't go well with inexperienced fitters and why pay top dollar for a car then skimp on the repair work and cheap parts

no sense and will cost you

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast