Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I'm driving a 245PS diesel and getting 40mpg on nearly all journeys long and short so far. Anything remotely higher than that has been elusive. I've only done about 600 miles so far and have filled up twice. First fill showed a range of 420, second fill (today) has shown a range of 480.

Audi engineer at the dealership said the engines need a few thousand miles to loosen up and the mpg improves. However I'm sure I read in Top gear mag that the lifer A7 was doing 38mpg after 8000 miles, so that doesnt figure.

0 0 0

2. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've now done 6000 miles, and there has been a fractional improvement in mpg, but nothing earth shattering. Managed 47mpg on one long journey but was driving quite slowly (65mph) for most of that one due to traffic. Otherwise it's averaging about 42mpg on both long and short journeys, even in heavy traffic, so it's still a lot better than my previous car (A8) so I'm still happy.

0 0 0

3. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,
    i obviously have a different kind of A7 to you lot. I did a "full to full" milage check. 35mpg, with the computer showing 36mpg. i do predominantly in town driving so i didn't expect 45 or 50, but 35? On the few motorway trips i do, the best is normally 41-42mpg or so. i'd love to know what you guys do to get into the high forties for combined cycle. oh, and No, i am not a boy racer wannabe! :-)

0 0 0

4. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is averaging 38-42 at 3000 miles (245ps 3.0 Tdi) and the most I have had is 44 on a long constant speed run. I cant say im trying to drive efficently though, more "enthusiastically"!
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
    For SMILES - Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
    For MILES - Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line 2011 - Daytona Grey Pearl

0 0 0

5. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have now had my A7 3.0 TDI 245 for about 3 weeks and have now filled it with diesel for the second time. The first couple of weeks, all I did were mostly local trips where the engine did not really fully warm up, plus a couple of 20 mile runs on the motorway. Over 330 miles, I averaged about 30mpg which is not particularly great, but it was mostly short runs. The car does seem to take quite a while to get any reading on the temperature gauge. My drive to work is only about 2 miles (approx 4 mins) and there is no reading on the temperature gauge when I arrive, whereas my old BMW was fairly well warmed up by then. I guess that this is a much larger and heavier diesel engine and so takes longer. I would be interested in comments from other A7 owners about how long their cars take to warm up.

Yesterday, I took the car (and wife) out for the day to the coast. I filled the tank before leaving and again on return and did a total of about 220 miles, almost entirely on the motorway with the cruise engaged at a steady 75. The computer said that I was getting 39mpg on the way down (50mph head wind all the way) and 44 on the way back. The actual figure worked out from the actual amount of fuel used from full tank to full tank was 38.5 mpg overall for the trip.

This is a lot less than I was expecting from the book figures. Has anyone tried to check fuel figures using the other driving modes such as Eco?? Does it make any difference??

Regards,
    Mike
    A7 3.0 TDI 245 Quatro SE. Daytona Grey. Comfort Seats (Heated + Ventilated), MMI Plus, HUD, Speed Limit Display, Lane Assist, Phone Prep High, Folding Heated Mirrors, Night Vision, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Lights, Parking Advanced, Four Zone Climate, Ambient Lighting.

0 0 0

6. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Mike,

My A7 reaches full temperature after about 4 miles, sometimes 5 miles and that is travelling at about 40mph to the next village. In this cold temperature I am getting about 42-44mpg and this is about 2mpg better in summer. I have a 15 miles journey to work driving country, suburban roads. Bear in mind that i have a 2wd version, so must be 5-10% more economical than your quatro. I guess your mpg to be about right.
    Driving 2 miles to work, probably not good to clear our your diesel particulate filter, so make sure you do some long runs at the weekend.

Shabaz
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

7. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mike,

I have a 245PS 3.0 TDi S-line which has just completed 5000 miles. My mpg experience is :

The mpg has improved only slightly from new towards an overall average of 39-40 mpg on most longer journeys, but I do drive quickly so have experienced 43mpg average when in slow / steady motorway traffic. The book says 47.9, I think the car will probably do it with no luggage, no passengers, no breakfast (), perfect tyre pressures and perfect driving at 56 mph. I noticed your car has a big spec which may take a little of the official figures as I believe that the figures from manufacturer are on the vehicle without extras (you will have additional weight and electrical consumption). If I slowed down a bit I would averaging low to mid 40s, so I dont think Audi is a million miles away. I got my wife a Golf Bluemotion recently, the claimed average is 67, reality is around 56-58, so IMHO they are all playing the game.

Your question about the economy car setting: I leave mine in this setting when I am popping around locally and not in any rush, it keeps the gear changes on lower revs and the pickup on the throttle is slower, plus the start-stop seems keener to work in economy. In terms of mpg I haven't noticed much of a difference to be honest, even when I've tried it on long journeys. Maybe I might get 41 instead of 39 or 40, so nothing special. I have found that on a route I do up to Northumberland that in Comfort the car feels better and the mpg seems the same. On balance my preference is to use Auto or Comfort on the longer journeys as the car feels more responsive, which translates into smoother driving, and improved economy, in any case.

One thing I would say about the mpg, putting the car into Dynamic or Manual and throwing it down country roads, it still averages well over 30, which is incredible compared to other cars I have owned when planting the right foot in the carpet. I took the car out a few weeks ago and had an hour of safe fast B road fun with the car mainly in manual (or dynamic) at high revs and the trip showed 32.9 average, that is very good.

Hope this helps.

0 0 0

8. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am getting similar fuel figures to Audi_Mike, my journeys are also short to work (a couple of miles) and I do a 50 mile round journey on Friday evening which involved motorway/dual carriageway driving. Weekend journeys are of various lengths.

I don't drive the car hard but am not a slow driver either, my long term computer reading is 30mpg (averaged over the 3 weeks I have had the car). Short term is usually little more.

I expected a bit better mpg than this....my car is the 245 ps Quattro, and now spends most of the time in economy mode. I also let he start/stop do its bit.

Any thoughts?

Paul

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    .... and now spends most of the time in economy mode.
    Paul
    I don't think my car has an Economy mode. Do you mean "Comfort" mode as set on the "Car" menu?

I'm getting around 45mpg when driven gently.

0 0 0

10. Re: Mpg a7 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I don't have economy mode either, just comfort, auto and dynamic. Maybe it is because its a 2wd
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast