1. golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2005 golf GTTDI keeps burning out heater blower resistors leaving only level 4 blower function
    initially i replaced the resistor pack curing the problem for about 5 minutes before being burnt out again filling the cabin with smoke !
    after consulting this and many other forums i was advised that the blower fan/motor may be on its way out and drawing too much current through the resistor, A new one was fitted along with another resistor and guess what burnout time again !!!
    Any ideas ??
    What sort of current should the fan be drawing ?

0 0 0

2. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    now this may sound very silly but have you replaced your pollen filter? if not it could be blocked and this could cause the fault you have, it could also be the fan control panel, but without looking at it then its just guess work mate

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

3. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just taken out the pollen filter, looks quite clean apart from the2inch burn mark where the resistor has burnt it. anyway i ran the fan without the pollen filter in place for a while and it is still burning out resistors.

0 0 0

4. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fan/and or controller is pulling too much current. The resistor is there to limit that current, so one of the two is drawing too much for the resistor.

This points towards a faulty fan control board, or a faulty fan imo.

If the fan is struggling to move, it will need more current to get it going. So it may be seizing or something else, or the windings breaking down etc etc.

Just do add, if the control board is connecting to an earth due to a fault, it will allow infinite current to be drawn and blow the resistor and the fan will still be able to run at its normal pace until the resistor blows (it will only draw what it needs to run). Hope that makes it clearer.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

1 0 0

5. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi There I am a new member and having similar problems with the blower resitor. I got a new one amd before fitting it I ran the fan to check how hot it got.On positions 1, 2 amd three the resistor was getting very hot so turned it off.
    the dlower notor sounds fine to me. I did replace the resistor a few years back with no further pronlems . I am going to look at the pollen filter and housing to see if it is blocked up or something . Does anyone know how hot the residtor gets normally and what current the motor draws. Its got a 40A fuse so inagine It will be quite high On the fastest setting? . I am just going to try runnit without the resistor fitted as It will still work on Pos 4 temporaril until I can have a good look.

0 0 0

6. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Your better off starting your own thread as this one is 9 years old

0 0 0

7. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm having the same problems but don't know where to look to see where the current is coming from, not the resistor or blower it's something else. Is there a control module that sends the current?

0 0 0

8. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Same problem is burning out resistors? If it's burning out resistors it's almost certainly a faulty blower motor barring a short circuit in the wiring (less likely)

Edit:just seen your other thread with more details so the above is already ruled out

0 0 0

9. Re: golf blower burning out resistors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I never change the resistor on its on as theres a reason why it blows in the first place. Always replace the blower and resistor at the same time. If after doing this the resistor is still blowing then your looking at a new switch bank in the centre console. Seen a few of these fail. Always match the part numbers to save any hassle and dont buy cheap blowers or resistors on ebay.

0 0 0