1. Cabriolet Roof 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I bought the car, the roof was not working. The PO told me that the hydralic motor was broken and that it was expensive. I investigated and typically £600-900 gulp. Found the fix - £40 ish for a new impellor from E Bay (not a VW part). Fitted the part, pressed the button on the dash and nothing.
    Wired a spare battery direct to the terminal and the motor comes to life and the roof opens and closes. Great, so I've an electrical fault now.
    Can anyone tell me:
    1. Which fuse it is, as I havent got a handbook?
    2. Whether there is anything else to watch out for?
    3. I think, if the worse comes to the worse, I'll wire it up separately again, but should I bear anything in mind if I do this - end stops on the roof mechanism or similar?
    All thoughts gratefully received!
    Cheers for reading this far!
    Fran
    P.S. Anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of the handbook - all I've managed to find is Russian based and not very user friendly??

0 0 0

2. Re: Cabriolet Roof 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just in case it helps anyone in the future: I found a circuit diagram and there is a 20Amp fuse, somewhere under the dash, but you don't need to go there. If you take out the back seat (two allen bolts) for access, there is a big black box on the LHS and a smaller black "connecter box" in the centre. The large red lead coming in from the RHS (drivers) comes from the 20A fuse into the centre connector box. There are some brown wires from it going to earth, just alongside. Use a meter to check that there is 12V on the incoming red lead - this indicates the fuse is OK, so you don't need to bother looking for it. If it's 0V then obviously you need to locate and replace the fuse.
    The roof motor works by reversing the polarity of the feed to drive it in one direction, or the opposite direction. This is done by a couple of relays with points style connectors. This is attached to the top of the smaller connector box in the centre that I referred to earlier. Assuming that you know you've got power to it now, remove the relay section from the top and carefully unclip the black plastic protective cover. Take a look at the small circuit board on the top and check whether there is any sign of "heat" or "burns" on the components as this could indicate that they've failed. Assuming that they are all OK, reconnect and you can move the "points" with a small electricians screwdriver and see if you can hear the motor start moving one way or the other.
    Mine had not been used for so long that this was all it took to restart everything and it now works perfectly from the switch on the dashboard, as it should. Once you've cracked it reassemble everything - Result!

1 0 0