Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya all,

Does anyone know if I need to get a specific SD card for the above also is there any size restrictions?

0 0 0

2. Re: Rns315 
    Drifty Guest
    Hi Jonny,

I've been doing a some searching when I've had some spare time:

Lots of discussion around the web on the RNS315 and SD cards in general though..

Found a couple of threads

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...dhc-card-5770/

Card size, type, file format, bit rates - these have all seemed to cause problems to various people.

Also, I don't know if you opted for MDI - but there is lots of info here...

http://www.my-gti.com/443/volkswagen...specifications

0 0 0

3. Re: Rns315 
    Drifty Guest
    Sorry, forgot to add this link too, not 315 specific but seems to indicate 32gb SDHC cards for 310 and 510.

http://www.my-gti.com/719/difference...nd-the-rns-510
    Last edited by Drifty; 31-03-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo

0 0 0

4. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifty View Post
    Sorry, forgot to add this link too, not 315 specific but seems to indicate 32gb SDHC cards for 310 and 510.

http://www.my-gti.com/719/difference...nd-the-rns-510
    Thanks Drifty. Looks like it isnt going to be as simple as I had hoped! Damn me for not getting the MDI!

0 0 0

5. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was worried about not getting the MDI, but ive just bought s sdhc card and its perfect. All the albums are on there just dragged and dropped and as long as they are in the correct namesd folders they show up perfectly on the radio interface.

plus the fact that the car will play music that is stored on your phone via bluetooth.

now i've tried it im not sure what MDI is used for? buying an ipod and the mdi lead would work out far more expensive.

0 0 0

6. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A question for you guys who are lucky enough to have your cc's (mine's July expected delivery - not sure which year) - how quickly does the 315 read the folders off an SD card and allow you to select tracks? I have an RDS510 in my B6 and the speed it reads SD cards is abismal (can be 20-30 seconds to display the folders).

0 0 0

7. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jon,

I only went for a 4GB SDHC card as i didn't want to encounter any problems.

The interface is instantaneousness and there is no loading. I've got a good few albums on there 100+ and it works perfectly. I did make sure that all the albums were labeled up correctly.

As i mentioned in another post, i dont think you need the MDI cable with the quality of this interface.

the car manual states it will take much higher capacity cards if you are interested

1 0 0

8. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, Jon. Damn, that's another good thing I've now got to wait for (but so looking forward to it - the SD card reader on the RDS510 is rubbish even with smaller SD cards).

0 0 0

9. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a 32GB SDHC Class 10 card - it is very fast, you don't get any lag at all. I also went for this one because the class 10 are bootable in case i ever need to update the satnav map / radio firmware. Got it off Ebay for about £30.
    Owner of 170 GT DSG in Deep Black with Cornsilk / Black Leather Interior

1 0 0

10. Re: Rns315 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have a B7 Passat Saloon with the RNS315 in it. I'm using an 8GB sdhc card, in black (so it matches - I'm **** like that) searching the music on the SD card has no wait at all, I would say though the larger the card, ergo the more music, the longer it takes. However it's negligible.

I also have the MDI. I would say it depends on how much music you want in the car as to whether it's worth stumping up for one, I have a 70GB 2.5" HDD in the glovebox running off the USB adaptor, which also powers it. Currently I have 36GB of music on it, there is a lag of a second or so on that when you leave a folder to browse the full list. I think thats reasonable though considering.
    VW CC GT in Dark Oak, 2.0TDi Bluemotion, Truffle Leather Interior with Ebony Trim - Now Arrived

VW Passat B7 Saloon in Night Blue, 2.0TDi Sport Bluemotion - Now Gone

0 0 0