1. Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've had my Mk6 just over 2 weeks now and I've noticed a strange feature concerned with the lighting on the dashboard.

It seems to fluctuate between being fully bright and then dims down again - just like I was controlling the brightness manually via the switch (which I am not).

I can almost pin this down to when there's bright sunshine (bright sunshine -> dashboard becomes fully lit).

Has anybody else experienced this?
    2014 Audi A4 S-Line | Florett Silver

0 0 0

2. Re: Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car must have external light sensors somewhere because if you go into a car park for example or if its night time the dashboard lights dim to nothing just red needles on a black background. I guess its to remind you that you haven't got your lights on DRL's would be on but no rear lights.

Mine does vary between full brightness in sunshine and slowly dims down to nothing as the light fails.
    Mk6 Golf 2009 Deep Black Pearl 2.0 GTTDI 140, Vancouvers

0 0 0

3. Re: Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I leave my light switch on 'auto' and the headlights go on/off depending upon the level of outside lighting, so I would imagine the same sensor controls the instrument lighting.
    2010 Golf 1.6td bluemotion DSG

0 0 0

4. Re: Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your headlights switch is on auto then the illumination is very low with illuminated needles in normal use, and increased dial illumination when the headlights come on.

Due the the nature of these stoooopid automated systems, the headlights come on and go off at the strangest times when driving in daylight.

2010 Golf Mk6 TDI105 SE - now departed, replaced with A3 Sportback

0 0 0

5. Re: Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whether you have auto lights or not, whenever the outside lights are off, the cluster lighting is on and dims automatically as the ambient light level falls, the cluster has its own sensor to control this which is a very feint circle you can barely see on the surface of one of the dials. I assume it dims as the light fails to encourage the driver to turn on the lights. When the outside lights are on (whether automatically or because you switched them on) the cluster lighting brightness is controlled by the dimmer switch on the dash.

It is annoying with auto lights because the cluster dims a long time before the lights come on, they could have easily linked the cluster dimming to the outside lighting sensor on models equipped with it.

0 0 0

6. Re: Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartry View Post
    Whether you have auto lights or not, whenever the outside lights are off, the cluster lighting is on and dims automatically as the ambient light level falls, the cluster has its own sensor to control this which is a very feint circle you can barely see on the surface of one of the dials. I assume it dims as the light fails to encourage the driver to turn on the lights. When the outside lights are on (whether automatically or because you switched them on) the cluster lighting brightness is controlled by the dimmer switch on the dash.

It is annoying with auto lights because the cluster dims a long time before the lights come on, they could have easily linked the cluster dimming to the outside lighting sensor on models equipped with it.
    Yes. this is normal no matter whether headlights are on Auto or not. For obvious reasons the instrument illumination is brighter when ambient lighting is high but will dim when you enter shaded areas otherwise you'd find the dial illumination uncomfortably bright if they stayed constantly bright.
    2016 VW Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4TSI 125ps 5dr in Reflex Silver.

0 0 0

7. Re: Paradise by the dashboard light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a srtange system your right, it always bugs me in the underground car park at work I can't see the instruments at all if my lights are off. Not that I can speed in a car park, but it is just staring at a black hole, then drive out into the sunshine and suddenly they light up, it does seem slightly weird, wonder why they bother giving you the adjustment knob if the car is going to do it all for you.
    I suppose it just helps to remind me to check my lights are either on or in auto if I can't see the dials
    Golf mk6 GT TSI 160 3 door Black with convenience pack

0 0 0