Notices

User Tag List

Thread: What Diesel do you use in your soot chucker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. What Diesel do you use in your soot chucker? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Coming from the jap perdformance scene there is the usual debate about which higher ron fuel is best to use.

V-Power Vs BP Ultimate is the main fight.. lol

So what about diesels? Bp Ultimate Diesel vs ?

Do you actually see any real difference in using the higher grade diesel fuels?

As a newbie to the soot chucker world with my Bora TDi Sport i would like to know where you stand with regards to this subject.

Regards
    Fizz
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    With diesel, your looking at cetane ratings in lieu of octane, higher the better.

As for the 'super' varieties, you pays your money I suppose. I always use standard stuff and the car flies as I can't justify spending over £5 more per tank. After all sitting in slow traffic, which we all do most of the time makes no difference if your running normal or super varieties, track day maybe different but there again you'd be unlikely to enter your diesel car on a track day.

Think the super varieties have a slightly higher higher cetane rating and contain more detergents and snake oil !!
    0 0 0

Exmouth, Devon, UK. Drives Bonkers Fabia Diesel. Has full VCDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Any old carp"

I just use anything - Never noticed a difference using good stuff, and I always add a good dose of millers diesel sport 4 which helps. My car runs "rather well" on whatever diesel I shove in it.
    Jason - Rather mad Skoda Fabia driver.... Odd whiff of diesel coming from him.
    260bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvjJjL7Z50
    315bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run (2013)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whats this millers i keep hearing about?

Also what about engines which have been remapped to produce more HP and Torque?

Would you see any benifit there?
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i think i started a discussion thread on this very subject a while ago..... ive discussed it on several other forums and the general consensus is that unless you have a very refined, highly tuned car, the premium fuels contain very little potential gain over normal fuels...

i use shell diesel extra(standard diesel on all shell pumps) and i must admit, it gives me the best run, best mpg and very little (if any) smoke.

i've used tesco, sainsburys, BP ultimate and shell extra has proven the best so far.

millers is a fuel additive, it helps to keep the injectors clean i believe as well as increasing the cetane rating of the diesel slightly so it burns better.

TBH, for most 'joe bloggs' i wouldnt think it would make much difference what fuel you use, but do try to use an additive, especially if using supermarket fuel as they skimp on the additives in their fuels.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well i shall continue with the Shell stations but exchange the V-powr for the shell diesel extra!
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzbitt View Post
    Well i shall continue with the Shell stations but exchange the V-powr for the shell diesel extra!
    ah.... now that one, i cant comment on, i've heard the vpower is an excellent fuel, but only the new RS4 demands such high quality fuel (petrol obviously)... im not sure a mk4 golf would have the technology to 'adapt' to a higher grade fuel like the newer VAG cars do

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's a handy little website that tells you about the cheaper places to get fuel.

Search by postcode or town.

http://www.petrolprices.com/
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had to use V-power on the MR2 Turbo and the GT4 both of which were imports and both were modded with 250bhp for the MR2 and 275 for the GT4.

As such they had to have the V-power and my wallet was empty for most the time.. lol
    0 0 0

Exmouth, Devon, UK. Drives Bonkers Fabia Diesel. Has full VCDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzbitt View Post
    Whats this millers i keep hearing about?

Also what about engines which have been remapped to produce more HP and Torque?

Would you see any benifit there?
    1) Google "millers diesel sport 4" - that's the stuff

2) Given my 130TDI is now running somewhere around 250bhp I think I'm qualified to talk. As I said above, I chuck anything in and it's all the same stuff to me at the end of the day. I get the cheapest I can, or just get it where and when I need to.

3) In my opinion, no.
    Jason - Rather mad Skoda Fabia driver.... Odd whiff of diesel coming from him.
    260bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvjJjL7Z50
    315bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run (2013)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast