Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of thing...

Anyway - my A4 Sline is now about 4 months old. In the snow/ice over the Winter I encountered awful traction issues, so i'm considering a winter tyre option for the next winter.

Some people say you need smaller, narrower wheels/tyres to improve anything.

But...

Then I heard about Vredestein Wintracs. With these tyres, can you get these tyres to fit the "standard" 18" wheels that come on a B8 A4 Sline? If so, is the traction substanially improved, or are you really better off getting smaller/thinner wheels/tyres?

Any help much appreciated!

0 0 0

2. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Bratty Guest
    As long as you can scource them in the same dimensions as the summer ones they will fit, AND! give you substantially better traction in snowy conditions, PLUS! your braking distances will be drastically improved when in low temperatures and inclement weather!

The downside is that there will not be sufficient clearance to fit snowchains (which if you like to go skiing in Europe then that is a bit of a dilema). Whereas narrower rims and thinner tyres will give you the clearance and cut through the snow better, (with the real bonus that your summer wheels stay nice!).

Dunk

0 0 0

3. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratty View Post
    As long as you can scource them in the same dimensions as the summer ones they will fit, AND! give you substantially better traction in snowy conditions, PLUS! your braking distances will be drastically improved when in low temperatures and inclement weather!

The downside is that there will not be sufficient clearance to fit snowchains (which if you like to go skiing in Europe then that is a bit of a dilema). Whereas narrower rims and thinner tyres will give you the clearance and cut through the snow better, (with the real bonus that your summer wheels stay nice!).

Dunk
    Hi

Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Snow chains won't be an issue, as I won't be looking to leave the UK or anything.

I guess I need to trade off the cost/hassle of getting 4 new [smaller] wheels/tyres against buying the Vredestein Wintracs. If the Vredestein's do make a big difference then I think I might opt for them.

0 0 0

4. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Taking my Vredesteins off this week and putting the originals back on

Should add the car was faultless in the snow and more importantly ice, this year. Only really deep snow causes a problem when the car beaches
    A4 3.0TDi S Line, Manual, Quartz Grey, Tech pack High (AMI, Parking Plus), Full ADS + Sports Diff, Sound Pack, 18" 5 spokes, Storage Pack, Interior light pack, Folding mirrors, Heated Front Seats, TPM, Hill Hold.

0 0 0

5. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Amanda View Post
    Taking my Vredesteins off this week and putting the originals back on

Should add the car was faultless in the snow and more importantly ice, this year. Only really deep snow causes a problem when the car beaches
    I'm virtually sold on these now!

So where did you source yours from? What price did you pay?

0 0 0

6. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I live in Scotland and encountered many a snowy, icy road over the last 5 months. The car never, ever got stuck, went 200 miles to the North Highlands for New Year in snow up to 4 inches deep without any issues. The only time i really worried was with really deep stuff, over 5-6 inches, due to possible beaching. However, it never let me down.

Thats quattro for you and with standard tyres................
    2009 A4 Avant, 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line, Misano Red, 19" twin blade alloys, heated silk nappa leather sports seats, sat nav, B&O and AMI, reversing camera, hill hold assist, interior light pack, phone prep- high, piano black inlays

0 0 0

7. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I live in Scotland and encountered many a snowy, icy road over the last 5 months. The car never, ever got stuck, went 200 miles to the North Highlands for New Year in snow up to 4 inches deep without any issues. The only time i really worried was with really deep stuff, over 5-6 inches, due to possible beaching. However, it never let me down.

Unfortnately I haven't got quattro :-(

0 0 0

8. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wj209980 View Post
    I'm virtually sold on these now!

So where did you source yours from? What price did you pay?
    I got them from Sheldons in Manchester and also a set of 18" replica wheels from them too. There tyre prices are pretty good but their wheel prices are brililliant. The wheels were about £350 the set

These were taken aften I had driven up a steep snow covered hill near Winter Hill transmitter
    A4 3.0TDi S Line, Manual, Quartz Grey, Tech pack High (AMI, Parking Plus), Full ADS + Sports Diff, Sound Pack, 18" 5 spokes, Storage Pack, Interior light pack, Folding mirrors, Heated Front Seats, TPM, Hill Hold.

0 0 0

9. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The thing is Winter tyres are not just for snow. They are an amazing improvement in icy and cold wet conditions. A colleague an me where driving rapidly in the rain recently (safely and legally of course) and the temp was just above freezing. Even though he has a new 330D M Sport which is quicker in a straight line, I left him thanks to my 4x4 and imho the winter grippy tyres. I should add he is a better and more skillful driver than i am too.

0 0 0

10. Re: Vredestein Wintracs - do they fit "standard" S Line 18" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

That's good to hear. I have a quattro on order, prompted by the hellish weather we've just come through in Scotland and pray it will live up to my expectations. Mine was utterly useless last winter, an embarrassment.

HC
    2011 A4 2.0TDi S-Line quattro (phantom black), 19" 7 Arm Double Spoke Alloys, Damper Control, Parking Plus, AMI, B & O Sound, DAB Radio, Bluetooth Prep Low

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast