Quote Originally Posted by maddogphysics View Post
I know this is an old post....anyway...

My car BMR 170 bhp has lots of oil in the fuel filter and oil in the fuel tank. I've checked.
I'm using 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles ish before the oil level warning light comes on.

The car has done 218,000 miles with very few problems.
I've bought a new tandem pump and seal, but before I start, I can't get access to the bottom bolt on the tandem pump (there are three of them). It sits behind a coolant pipe which I can remove, but the metal pipe it fits onto I can't.

This metal pipe has one bolt, fairly long, which I can remove, but the pipe doesn't seem to want to come away from the engine.

I probably could get the bolt out of the tandem pump but I would not be able to torque it up afterwards. I don't want to fit a new gasket only for it to leak.

Question: how do I remove the bottom metal coolant pipe?

Thanks in advance
When replacing the gasket on the TP make sure the new one is completely intact as often they are shoved into a poly bag and suffer very slight kinking. If this happens it will not seal correctly and leak very soon afterwards. Also make sure the head and TP mating surfaces are as bone dry as possible as any oily deposits will compromise the sealing. I have a spare TP pump which is still good as a) it was the gasket causing the cross contamination and b) my in tank pump was failing, little did I know, which I thought was the TP. There is also an internal seal renewal kit for them which is cheaper if you are curious what's inside. I tend to change the diesel filter every 5000 miles these days as they are less than a tenner and run through an in fuel cleaner every 3 months as I'm not using a premium diesel like Nitro or Ultimate presently.