1. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    when i put the pic of my sample on here i'd only just taken it, i've just took another look and it has not changed at all, no soot or settlement, so it does appears to be oil thats the problem.

chrasher : how do you take a look in the tank, i did try to take a sample from the tank but was unable to get my tube to enter the actual diesel
    also like one of yours customers i also only tend to put £30 at a time,
    i guess i will have to add an extra £130 on my buget for oil and filter and a tank of fuel

thanks again

any thoughts about diesel in the oil or can it only happen one way due to difference in pressures

0 0 0

2. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The tank is easily accessed from under the back seat. I take out the pump and empty the tank with a proper fuel recovery unit, I have to do quite a bit of this removing petrol from diesel tanks. The oil in the fuel can only come from the tandem pump in my opinion; fuel in the oil however can come from the tandem pump or injector seals.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    just fitted a used pump from a breakers who guaranted it was working, car started but then died after a few seconds, i'm guessing i need to prime or bleed the pump or something. i have checked all conections and everything is as it should be or at least how it was, any ideads as to what i need to do, i have been cranking the engine but now the battery is weak and don't to try anymore until i know its going to start as it's parked at the bottom of my drive facing the wrong way for jump leads.
    many thanks
    colin

0 0 0

4. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    all sorted
    thats first and last time i'm going suck suck hard on bleck hose!!!!

0 0 0

5. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    black hose

0 0 0

6. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I use a Pella pump but it not priming up on its own suggests the lift pump has failed, it is a common problem.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

7. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I know this is an old post....anyway...

My car BMR 170 bhp has lots of oil in the fuel filter and oil in the fuel tank. I've checked.
    I'm using 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles ish before the oil level warning light comes on.

The car has done 218,000 miles with very few problems.
    I've bought a new tandem pump and seal, but before I start, I can't get access to the bottom bolt on the tandem pump (there are three of them). It sits behind a coolant pipe which I can remove, but the metal pipe it fits onto I can't.

This metal pipe has one bolt, fairly long, which I can remove, but the pipe doesn't seem to want to come away from the engine.

I probably could get the bolt out of the tandem pump but I would not be able to torque it up afterwards. I don't want to fit a new gasket only for it to leak.

Question: how do I remove the bottom metal coolant pipe?

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

8. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    You have to drop the transfer pipe down as much as it will move and then use a 5mm ball end Hex key to get at that evil lower bolt.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddy2008 View Post
    hi al,
    can anyone tell me what colour the diesel inside the filter canister should be, i ask this because last weekend i thought i would take a look to see how dirty the fiter looked, the first thing that surprised me was the colour of the fuel, it was a bluey grey colour and the filter was jet black, anyone know if this normal or is it likley that there could be other issues that could cause this (tandem pump ?)
    any help much appreciated
    thanks again

Yes its as it is(normal)--most folke think fuel from pumps is as clean as can be--""not so"--thats why we have filters"",because the fuel from pumps is quite(read F%%%%%g dirty realy) as you see when you look at you filter !!!--ps--if you had a look at the inside of your tank - the walls etc etc- ya wid see its f%%%%ng caked an black wi deposits-(depending on how old the car -ie how many yrs of pump fuel)--Run a tank-50-50 veg tesco's finest wi derv- what ??? yes within a month you will have too change fuel filter--but after that you will be fine as long as u run a veg oil mix every so often !!! you prob find it runs better aswell-- tho anything after 2004 needs 50-50 derv to veg-for no probs !!!

0 0 0

10. Re: diesel filter on 170 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you for that Crasher. Will do that later today.

I've been running the car on WVO for the last 6/7 years, over 100.000 miles. But now she needs some TLC !

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast