Notices

User Tag List

Thread: sons car accident - opinions pleae??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Bratty Guest
    Hi Jim, sorry to hear about you sons probs. I am absolutely NO EXPERT but logically if? your Boy was stationary (even if inapropriately positioned?) and the other driver drove into him, then it falls solely on the moving vehicle (Here in Germany it is that way and it is logical!)
    Get a statement from the offending driver that he was the sole moving vehicle and I reckon you will stand a good chance!

Dunk

0 0 0

2. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks Bratty.....

He wasn't the sole moving vehicle though! As stated, he entered the street with my son behind him, he then swung right into a parking space and the brakes were applied. Having assumed ( as you do ) that he was parking my son carried on his way, the van driver then proceeded to reverse into his drivers door.

To me, its the responsibility of the reversing driver to ensure his path is clear, ir unsure, he should even exit the vehicle to double check if necessary is the way I was always taught.

Anyhow, I don't meant o bang on about it.....Its done now and we are waiting for the inusrance company to handle it and see what they come up with!

Thanks for your thoughts

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

3. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Bratty Guest
    Get The Boys Round! and Squeeze the Driver!

Seriously hope it works out as it is really a never ending circle of insurance premium hikes! NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE!

Dunk

0 0 0

4. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratty View Post
    Get The Boys Round! and Squeeze the Driver!

Seriously hope it works out as it is really a never ending circle of insurance premium hikes! NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE!

Dunk
    Lol...get the boys round

Last time my 2 bro in laws were ina pub and there was a stand up fight with several locals ended with pool cues and various pieces of furniture as well as knives used..... there was a transit van with several "BOYS" in the back loaded with baseball bats and 2 shotguns in the vicinty within an hour!!
    You really don't call these boys unless you fully intend to inflict some serious damage!!

It does seem though that more n more it may be the way to go as the justice system really fails at every turn

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

5. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have to issue the usual disclaimer of VWAF not supporting and/or advocating the use of physical violence for any purpose - be mindful of your posts as this is a public forum.

That said - Jim, if it were me, I'd cancel the insurance claim and take the hit personally - non fault claims have a negative effect on insurance premiums, albeit unfairly - it happens. A new door in the same colour will be at most £200?

You may need to consider this as the non fault claim is declarable for (5?) years.

0 0 0

6. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    if it were me, i would pull the door card off, and get to it with some blocks of wood and hammers. this will get it straight enough to look ok. glue te trim strip back on and off he goes. at the end of the day, it may well be written off by the insurance company, due to its market value, although you could insist its repaired, but what a hassle. and what a pain if you do go through with the claim, for your son to have another small incident of body panel bending proportions.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

7. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    if it were me, i would pull the door card off, and get to it with some blocks of wood and hammers. this will get it straight enough to look ok. glue te trim strip back on and off he goes. at the end of the day, it may well be written off by the insurance company, due to its market value, although you could insist its repaired, but what a hassle. and what a pain if you do go through with the claim, for your son to have another small incident of body panel bending proportions.
    It will be written, there is a £200 door, £250 of paint, and £500 of labour there minimum, best option will be to allow them to write it then buy it back and go to a scrap yard for another door, live with the rear wing ripple that is probably there and just put a new rub strip on, as for the claim, it will end up with Jamie paying more on renewal, but getting refunded once the claim is settled, and if his insurance company is any good they will issue the van driver with a summonds if he continues to deny liability.

0 0 0

8. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The way I look at it is that WVM drove into your lad's car, hence the damage to the side of the car.

If your lad had driven into the van, then the damage wouldn't be on the side of his own car!!!

Good luck!
    2010 Astra SRi 1.6T
    2004 Golf GT TDI 2.0 - Sadly Departed

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

0 0 0

9. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I agree with the others Jim - your son was proceeding normally, on the correct side of the carriageway; the van had made a manoeuvre taking him into a parking space and off the carriageway - his decision to reverse was the start of a completely separate manoeuvre, and therefore the onus was on the van driver to check that the road was clear behind him before he started reversing.

Thank god it wasn't a kiddie on a bike passing behind his van.

Hope your son is not too badly shaken.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

10. Re: sons car accident - opinions pleae?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Since its WVM's fault and hes worried about getting done already, it might be worth asking him to pay £200 for a new door etc rather than going through insurance.

Hopefully he will be decent enough to settle it outside the legal manner.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast