Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Car Trying to Stall in 1st Gear?!

1. Car Trying to Stall in 1st Gear?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys

OK I'm now in a panic!

Last week I picked up a 2007 A6 2.0 Le Mans Edition (manual gears). The car was running fine until this morning.

What I have noticed three times so far is that when I select first gear and slowly release the clutch while adding some juice (as we are all told), the car starts to jump/shudder as if it is going to stall!!

To counter you quickly push the clutch back and try again.

It doesn’t happen every time, but as I said above it has happened 3 times on the drive into work and so is starting to make me panic!!!!

I am able to select the gears fine (including 1st) and also I can start the car off in 2nd if there is a slight roll. This is hopefully making me think that it is not the clutch!???

I had a quick look online and noticed a few other forums describing the same sort of probs. In one BMW forum the problem was identified as being a cracked inflow pipe meaning the car wasn’t getting the much needed air to move off in 1st gear. Others suggested a clogged up fuel filter stopping the juice getting in!

As I said I am panicking a bit as I just bought the car, and as it was through a private dealer I will have some probs going back and saying here fix this.

Has anyone ever come across this before, or even better knows what the prob/solution could be??

You would be helping a new and very worried A6 owner!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A private dealer still has to honour a warranty up to 3 months after purchase. I'd take it back to them as it seems like a fault that was present when you bought it and not a result of wear and tear etc.

0 0 0

3. Re: Car Trying to Stall in 1st Gear?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drpellypo View Post
    A private dealer still has to honour a warranty up to 3 months after purchase. I'd take it back to them as it seems like a fault that was present when you bought it and not a result of wear and tear etc.
    Thanks for the reply.

Is that a standard law that the dealer has to comply to?

0 0 0

4. Re: Car Trying to Stall in 1st Gear?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drpellypo View Post
    3 months warranty is a statutory entitlement, you're correct - however, if the fault is considered to have been present at point of purchase, the liability for that fault is removed from the supplying dealer.

With the fault worsening/expressing itself within a week most will opt to fix it, if only to save reputation but I certainly would not go in shouting the odds.

My suggestion would be to visit the dealer, ask they look at the fault and see what they come up with.

0 0 0

5. Re: Car Trying to Stall in 1st Gear?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok

I brought the car over to my mechanic and he said what looks like the prob is that the gearbox is failing!!!!!

Just my bloody luck! Week old car that has a prob that looks like running into £1k to fix!!

Has anyone any experience of getting a gearbox replaced and know where I could look for a decent second hand one?

Oh and the possibility of returning the car is def still on my mind!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Oh dear not a good start to your A6 ownership it must've wanted to live in France and now it's going against you

You could always try on eBay for a 'box and get it couriered over. Best of luck

0 0 0

7. Re: Car Trying to Stall in 1st Gear?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have looked on ebay, but really think that this should fall back on the seller.

I only picked up the car last saturday and was only insured there last Wednesday, so have only had it on the road for under a week!

0 0 0