Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Matching tyres on A6 Le Mans quattro - how crucial is it?

1. Matching tyres on A6 Le Mans quattro - how crucial is it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've read on a couple of forums now that it is important to have 4 matching tyres with the same tread levels on all four corners with all A6 quattro models, to prevent any wear to the drivetrain. Something to do with it having a Torsen diff, rather than Haldex, apparently.

I bought mine privately and whilst all 4 tyres have the same tread depth, the fronts are a different brand to the rears.

Can all you quattro owners comment on your experiences, and whether you're running all 4 matching tyres?
    Current - 2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    SOLD - 2007 A6 Avant 2.7 TDI Le Mans quattro
    Daytona Grey | Milano Leather | MMI High | 2011 Nav | 6CD | Bluetooth | Adaptive Xenons | BOSE | DAB Radio | Heated F&R seats | AMI | Parking System Plus | Storage Pack | Visibility Pack | Interior Light Package | Electric Folding Mirrors | Rear sunblinds

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    It's advised to have the same tread pattern on each axle iirc. Don't quote me on that but I read somewhere that's what's recommended.

When I bought my car back in 2009, it had 4 different tyres on each corner, a Michelin, Goodyear,Hankook and Continental. I swiftly changed the front 2 to GY Eagle F1s, barely lasted 12k. I just spent £1k on 4 Michelin Pilot Sports. Hopefully they'll last more than 12k at the price!!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have a quattro A4 and have bought a set of staggered alloys ( back wheels wider than the front ) so the tyres are obviously going to be different. As far as I know, there is a tolerance and I dont really think that it matters about something as small as tread pattern. In fact, since I have bought my car, I have mighty IRONMAN on the front and bridgestone on the rear.

0 0 0

4. Re: Matching tyres on A6 Le Mans quattro - how crucial is it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I second Bangor Lad. Tread depth should really not be an issue. Imagine you get a flat tyre on the motorway... chances are your spare is brand spanking new and your current tyre has 10k+ miles on it... Are Audi going to say "Don't use the spare tyre we provide you with to replace the flat tyre because it's going to wreck the expensive car it's sitting in when the tread depths are different"... Totally nonsensical. As long as the diameters are within a tolerance (and same-sized tyres should be, even if worn to different tread depths) then it'd be ok. Of course, in a perfect world, the tyres are all equally worn but the world isn't perfect and there are plenty of nails, screws and other debris lying about on the roads which means Audi design their quattro system to be somewhat tolerant.

0 0 0