Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

My name's Tom from Derby. Found this forum while googling for a rare VW part that I'm after, decided it looked quite good so thought I'd join!

I've owned quite a few VAG motors over the years, but my current cars are a 1996 2.0 8V Corrado and a 1998 1.9 TDi Seat Ibiza.

The Corrado is undergoing a major engine conversion at the moment so I'm running about in the Ibiza for a couple of months while I carry the conversion out. I'll put up a project thread soon for what I'm doing, if people are interested. To give you an idea, it isn't a petrol engine that's going in

Anyway, here's a couple of pics:

Looking forward to posting more!

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by Purple Tom; 07-05-2011 at 02:49 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome!

Lovely corrado, what are you converting it to?
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

3. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Its going to receive a 1.9 TDi from a B4 Passat, along with some chassis modifications and some tweaks to the engine. Looking for 150bhp which should be good fun while still being fairly frugal

0 0 0

4. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Why a Passat engine? You will have to mess around with the turbo, manifolds, sump and oil pump, fit a Golf TDI engine. Ohh and you will have fun getting the diesel nozzle in the tank at the filling station…
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Please read that I have put B4 Passat. Not the B5 or later which are longitudinally mounted. The B4 is essentially a Corrado from a B-pillars forward in the places where it matters. So the engine is transverse, the gearbox is cable change, the wiring is CE2, the engine loom is seperate from the headlamp loom, even the pedal box for the DBW throttle is the same.

If I were to use a Golf TDi (I presume you mean a Mk3 because a Mk4 is *slightly* more complicated when it comes to wiring) the engine wiring loom would require extensive modification because the headlamp/engine loom is integrated. The pedal box is also totally different.

In fact, the only real advantage of using a Mk3 as a donor is that they had the 90bhp AHU engine fitted which is essentially an AFN without the VNT. The engine from my donor Passat is a 90bhp 1Z which is slightly inferior in some ways (minor differences internally) but still well capable of 150bhp +

Regarding the diesel pump - do you not think I have considered that? The Corrado tanks were originally designed for use with 4* fuel which if you recall has the same size nozzle as a diesel - it's unleaded pumps that have the smaller nozzle. As a result the Corrado filler neck is fitted with a simple reducer which can be removed allowing a diesel nozzle to fit straight in.

I really think you need to be slightly less condescending towards new members when you clearly don't know enough about the subject of TDi's into a Corrado to give the correct advice.

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Sorry, you are correct, I call them a 3A, I don't go for this B stuff. Personally I would have fitted a 150PD motor, the 1Z and AHU are hard work to make power from and lack a VNT turbo. You will still have to change the fuel tank.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, just a misunderstanding.

A PD would be great but if I'm being brutally honest I've just bought my own place and I can't afford the cost of the conversion, even though I do everything that I can myself. The B4 donor cost me £400 and it is the perfect vehicle to use, even the clocks are a straight swap.

As for the VNT, all I need to do is get hold of a cheap AHU engine, a VNT15/17, PD130 intake, fit it and then remap and I'll have an engine that's the equivalent of a high power PD. It just won't be out of the box and to be honest I kind of like that.

To begin with though I'm just going to get it running. Sorry if I sounded grumpy in my message, I've just done a LOT of research and spent a LOT of time thinking about this project to the point that everything is totally clear in my head. Someone then comes along and says "oh you don't want to do that, you should do this that and the other" and it annoys me. No offence intended.

Tom

0 0 0

8. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    None taken, any help I can give I will, just don’t ask for a 3A AHU wiring diagram! Use a KR engine fuel tank.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I want to retain a 70L fuel capacity and the KR only has 50L so its an option I'd like to avoid.

I've also just broken a Corrado VR6 and done an OBD2 conversion on another one so I have a plethora of VR6 spares lying about, including a fuel tank which is the one I'm going to derestrict then fit the 8V lift pump to allow for future modifications to the engine.

Thanks

Tom

0 0 0

10. Re: Hi, new member with a Corrado 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Don’t get me started on the OBDII conversion thing…

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast