Great Dunmow (near Stansted Airport), Essex
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I think the P slots were only available on the very early GTI's ( pre-1986), ours I think should either have motreal bottle tops or BBS ra's. It has La castellet's on it at the moment, which I don't know if they were standard or not on one this age.

Our ultimate aim is to get it completely OEM, as it would have left the showroom. So any advice, would be very welcome on how it should look.

Crasher, I may indeed require your superior knowledge, as my 16valve engine knowledge is rather limited. But, the engine does run, so hopefully not all bad!

1990 Black MKII Golf 1.8 GL. Otherwise known as 'Gumpert' Rampant "Rabbit"

2011 Rosso Brunello Skoda Superb Estate Elegance 1.6 CR Greenline. Otherwise known as 'Sue'
    1988 Tornado Red MKII Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. Otherwise known as 'Hollie' - Project

0 0 0

2. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    if that engine's any cop, £300 is a steal - the scene tax on mk2s atm is ridiculous - chassis and engine are the important bits, everything else is workable!

0 0 0

3. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    We had the Golf delivered on Monday 28th Feb on the back of a trailor onto my parents' driveway - much to my Mum and Dad's disgust!

A rather happy Miss Macmillions!

Haha, green bonnet!

Oh, and thrown in the sale was a GTI 16valve grille with spots, Jetta GTI 16valve full exhaust system, rear bumper and lots of spiders!

Okay, so Miss Macmillions just spent 2 hours cleaning the new addition. That was only soap, water and elbow grease......... she's leaving the t-cutting and polishing for me to do when I get time at the weekend... Aren't I lucky?

Here are some pictures:

So here is one half clean and the other not so clean:

Can't have Gumpert being left out!

Tuh dah!

She said she can safely say she's never smiled so much when cleaning a car, it was like un-wrapping a present with every sponge wipe haha. There were a couple of very hard bits to clean off but i think it's come out rather well. Didn't tuch the alloys, again something else Muggins can do later.

2011 Rosso Brunello Skoda Superb Estate Elegance 1.6 CR Greenline. Otherwise known as 'Sue'
    1988 Tornado Red MKII Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. Otherwise known as 'Hollie' - Project

1 0 0

4. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking great already! What condition is the paintwork in? Any dull pink patches or has it kept its shine?

0 0 0

5. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The body is mint. No rust at all. Anywhere! The paint is a bit dodgey in places, the driver's door is an interesting shade of pink. Also the bonnet is a bit patchy. But providing the weather holds out over the weekend, I will be armed with a bottle of T-Cut and get to work!

Anyway, more pics - Grille fitted!
    (Will get a better one in the morning)

0 0 0

6. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well I managed to brave the cold yesterday (yes, I'm a wimp) and performed a service on the old gal.
    New air filter, spark plugs (seen earlier), HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil change and new oil filter.
    Bearing in mind I'm not the most mechanically minded bloke in the world I thought that was quite an achievment! Haha. And the best bit? It still worked afterwards!

Tell you what though, I have never seen oil so bad in my life! Before draining the oil I ran the engine up to temp so it came out easier and it poured out nicely - if a little black in colour. But as I continued the rest of the service and it all drained, I removed the drip tray and the oil was like tar! So the current oil is literally going to just be a flush. Run it for 100 miles or so then change it along with the filter again.

One thing I have noticed though is it seems to have a petrol leak. Just infront of the rear offside wheel. There seems to be a little box there which is getting wet. Am I right thinking that's the fuel filter? - Which I forgot to change, so will do that this weekend!

Also removed the seats and set about cleaning the interior - not the nicest job in the world!
    Another plus point, all the electrics work too!

0 0 0

7. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the story behind looking for such a*rare 16v* on an e plate

paul

0 0 0

8. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    reading this thread reminds me of that program wheeler dealers. Keep up the good work, Im sure it'll be worth it!
    COMING SOON: '14 A5 Cabriolet S-line Special edition, Daytona Grey
    CURRENT: 11' A5 S-Line Black Edition Ibis White
    previous: 09' A3 S-line Ibis White

1 0 0

9. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlionhart View Post
    reading this thread reminds me of that program wheeler dealers. Keep up the good work, Im sure it'll be worth it!

Wheeler Dealer's predecessor, Deals on Wheels which was shown on channel 4, is available on 4oD. I was watching a few old episodes the other night. Really like that programme!

1 0 0

10. Re: Oh God. What have we done!??... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    forgot about that one! I guess I remembered wheeler dealers because he always says something like;
    'well I have replaced the old gear knob with a shiny new one'
    Basically anything new he would say 'a shiny new one'. A bit like a cliché really.
    COMING SOON: '14 A5 Cabriolet S-line Special edition, Daytona Grey
    CURRENT: 11' A5 S-Line Black Edition Ibis White
    previous: 09' A3 S-line Ibis White

0 0 0

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast