1. Retrofit RNS 510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is information for anybody thinking about installing/retrofiting the RNS 510 into their car. All I can say is that when I eventually got it done, I was cursing myself that I hadn't done it sooner!!!

I did do a lot of research (by which I mean umming and ahhing), but I eventually took the plunge and got one. I actually bought it from a prominent member of the VW R32 OC website; he had initially organised a group buy, but his supplier was happy to do it on a one-by-one basis. It came with a three month warranty, the latest maps (that includes 7-digit post-code search), with a price that was equal to or lower than many e-bay sites. Even better was the fact that the member also has VCDS (Vag-Com), which meant that he could do any necessary coding, for a small donation of course!

My car is a '57 plate, and I have installed an RNS 510 Ver C (with the star button). This is the latest version LED touch-screen model, and there have been no issues with the battery-drain that can affect earlier can-bus models. The installation was remarkably straightforward (but it always is when you have the right tools), plus it required an antenna adapter, which he had. A small amount of VCDS coding, and the whole process took no longer than an hour, without any rushing.

The system itself is very, very good. LED touch screen to reduce sunlight glare. 30Gb hard-disk, 10Gb of which is used for mapping, the rest can be used to store music. SD card reader, which will also read the HD SD cards, upto 32Gb. DVD player, which although it is disabled above 5mph, can be enabled if required for passenger viewing. There is connectivity for ipod and bluetooth, but these need to be bought seperately, and not essential for me at the moment. 7 digit postcode search, with 3D mapping. Being OEM, the unit also integrates very well into the car, with the light scheme of the RNS 510 matching the rest of the dash lighting.

Considering that this can cost approx 2K if specified, retrofitting is definitely the route to take. I had considered other non-oem units, but it was the fact that this was OEM, which ultimately was what I wanted.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, once I had finally done it!

I just thought I would share my experience of having done the retrofit, in case there were others thinking about it; my advice would be to go for it.

PS There is now an RCD 300 Mp3 radio available, should anybody need one!
    Last edited by biggaz76; 25-02-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: more info

1 0 0

2. Re: Retrofit RNS 510 
    zahed Guest
    Happy to hear of your experiences. I'm looking at retrofitting a RNS 510 or RNS 315 into my 2011 Touran S. My Touran currently has a shark fin antenna on the roof, but I assume it's only for radio reception. Did you have to get the aerial retrofitted? Also, can you give me some information privately on the supplier you used (if they're open to having another customer!)?

0 0 0

3. Re: Retrofit RNS 510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Zahed. My apologies for not responding sooner. I have also retro-fitted the rns 510 to a 2008 Touran, by the same person. Again, it went straight in, no problems. Like you, I can only assume that the antenna for radio reception is the shark fin. The rns 510 will come with a separate antenna for satellite reception, which will usually sit on top off the radio itself, and as such doesn't present any problems in acquiring satellites. Let me know if you need any further info!

0 0 0

4. Re: Retrofit RNS 510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Zahed. I tried to send you a PM, but I don't have enough posts yet! if you still want one, go on to the R32 OC forum, and search for Nick Fenton. If you get no joy, let me know, and I will approach him for you.

0 0 0

5. Re: Retrofit RNS 510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HELLO SIR,
    I HAVE A JETTA TRENDLINE. I BOUGHT THE CAR ON 2nd JUNE 2011. MY CAR IS FITTED WITH rcd 310 MUSIC
    SYSTEM. I WANT TO UPGRADE MY CAR AUDIO SYSTEM. I WANT TO INSTALL EITHER RCD 510 OR RNS 510. I
    WANT A SYSTEM IN WHICH I CAN HAVE IN DASH NAVIGATION SYSTEM, DVD PLAYER, BLUE TOOTH ETC. PLEASE
    GUIDE ME WERE CAN I GET THE ABOVE MENTIONED AUDIO SYSTEM. I CONTACTED THE DEALER IN UTTARAKHAND
    BUT THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO GIVE ANY HELP. SO IT IS MY REQUEST TO YOU TO PLEASE HELP ME IN CHANGING
    THE SYSTEM
    MY CAR VIN NO IS WVWK101K8AA554565 , JETTA 2.0 TREND 81 TDI M5F
    THANKS
    ALSO DO TELL ME THE RATES OF THE SYSTEM

0 0 0

6. Re: Retrofit RNS 510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, as you can see from my earlier posts, my rns 510 were bought from the vw r32 owners club website; this is a forum very similar to this one. I dont know if he would be able to get any more. Your best option may well be to have a look on ebay, and try to source one that way. Prices would be around £500.00. Bluetooth can be done in different ways, if you do a search on the forum, you should find plenty of options. I hope that helps you; please let me know if you need further information.

0 0 0

7. Re: Retrofit RNS 510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I have a 13 tiguan with a dab rcd510 looking to upgrade to rns510 dab.

Where/who do I talk to. Done if the forums say nick?

Help if you can

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

0 0 0