Notices

User Tag List

Thread: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been out with my '10 Passat estate and noticed I have a cracked windscreen.... bit of a bummer as I only picked the car up 2 weeks ago. Still a thought occurred in my head that this might be an opportunity to get the auto dim rear view mirror / auto lights / auto windscreen wiper added as a retro fit.

Has anyone done this before, is it straight forward?

My car is a April 2010 highline plus, is it an easy DIY project or worth paying the £610 for supply and fit... I will need to get the windscreen replaced anyhow with the large crack that's appeared so that's an insurance job but with me telling them which functions are installed on it already

Any thoughts?

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I like your train of thought
    Hope it works out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I forget how to use a full size keyboard !

0 0 0

3. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have often wonder the same. Problem is when the guy turns up to replace the screen and sees that you don't have the features..... My thought would be have the wiring in place for him coming so that it looks like it should be there.

Would love to know what wiring would be involved aswell. And are the sensors a part of the screen or are they separate?

0 0 0

4. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No idea, on my prev car they were sensors built in to the dimming rear view mirror and the auto lights had the sensors in the actual dash rather than the window...
    Regards...

Jason
    2010 Passat Estate 2.0TDI CR Highline Plus

0 0 0

5. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The first thing you will need is a complete new rear view mirror assembly, this has the sensor built into it and replaces the original mirror, it just sticks to the windscreen so you 'may' be able to retrofit without replacing the windscreen!

If you are replacing the windscreen then why not retro fit electrically heated windscreen at the same time? That's one bad boy of a feature! you need duel zone climate though as a base, but that could be a further retrofit.... where do you stop
    A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170 S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 18" alloys, Full Sline Drop, Full Leather, MMI Hi, Phone Prep High, AMI, DAB, Adaptive Lights, Folding Mirrors, Power Tailgate, Light & Storage Packs, Parking Plus, Auto Hold, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Assist, Heated Sports Seats with Memory, Rear Blinds, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner.

0 0 0

6. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunatly I dont have the dual climate, so another add on!.... where do you stop LOL

If the rear view mirror is as easy as that I might go that route, the auto wipers and lights arnt as high on my list as the rear view mirror!

Anyone got th epart number for the auto dimming mirror? Is there a website with the part numbers etc on?
    Regards...

Jason

0 0 0

7. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The heated screen should be standard, it's a major safety feature and only an £140 option.

Ford have them as standard on the Fiesta upwards.

Cheers
    Lee
    2010 VW Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG, Parking Sensors, RCD510 with Media-In Interface and bluetooth, Leather, Cruise, TPM, Auto Hold, 17% Tints, Candy White.

0 0 0

8. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK - I have found a german howto for a Skoda which uses the VW mirror part. No part number for the window mount for the mirror though. I cant tell if the mirror mount is the original one or not.

http://www.ralfweichenhain.com/skoda...el/spiegel.pdf

The beige mirror is part number 3B0 857 511 H 8YS there is also a black version as well.

The other part I would need is the conduit that links the mirror base to the roof liner.

From the german article they take the power from the interior light, but there is a third wire that I didnt get a translation for, I can see a switched +12V, ground and something else which might be active when the lights are on?
    Regards...

Jason

0 0 0

9. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Erm I would be looking to remove a system from a vehicle taken in by a scrap yard, the price for the anti dazzle mirror assembly is about £130.00 then you have cabling, trim, and other parts, like the light switch..

Main part numbers are:

Mirror assembly: 3C0 857 511 D (you will need to quote your interior colour when ordering) c130
    light switch: 1K0 941 431 AC (auto lights switch without front fogs) c£45

Please note in providing these part numbers there are other things you will need, but its given to show the savings that you can make by removing a system from a vehicle. At least as you dismantle you can see how it all goes together.

Hope this helps
    A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170 S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 18" alloys, Full Sline Drop, Full Leather, MMI Hi, Phone Prep High, AMI, DAB, Adaptive Lights, Folding Mirrors, Power Tailgate, Light & Storage Packs, Parking Plus, Auto Hold, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Assist, Heated Sports Seats with Memory, Rear Blinds, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner.

1 0 0

10. Re: retrofit - auto wipers/rear dim/lights...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drmartin View Post
    light switch: 1K0 941 431 AC (auto lights switch without front fogs) c£45
    I'm selling for £30!!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast