1. Leaking Rear Shock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1999 1,8 Passat. In the past week or so I have noticed that my car seems a bit spongy and the handling is not so good, particularly around bends and corners. The other day before I parked up I noticed about 8 or 9 patches of dried fluid stains in the car park that would be in the area of my rear offside wheel. After some investigation I have discover that my shock is leaking fluid.

I have booked the car in to get both rear shocks replaced. What I want to know is if this sudden poor handling is likely related to the leaking shock or should I be looking for another problem?

0 0 0

2. Re: Leaking Rear Shock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the rear axle bushes while at it, they brak with high mileage and speed bumps but replacing the shocks first is a must !

0 0 0

3. Re: Leaking Rear Shock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and check the price of the shocks they are claiming to fit. Had same trouble on my 98 1.8 a few years ago. A well known national fitter (not the Kwik one, another similar one!) failed the MOT on rear shocks leaking, and then were quoting £135 each for the shocks. I called VW and a genuine ones was only £53, so beware

0 0 0

4. Re: Leaking Rear Shock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bk.bas99 View Post
    and check the price of the shocks they are claiming to fit. Had same trouble on my 98 1.8 a few years ago. A well known national fitter (not the Kwik one, another similar one!) failed the MOT on rear shocks leaking, and then were quoting £135 each for the shocks. I called VW and a genuine ones was only £53, so beware
    i think that advise should always be taken on all spare parts, alot of "O.E" parts from factors end up being more expensive than main dealers

0 0 0

5. Re: Leaking Rear Shock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I replaced my rears twice over 5 years, they were about £40 each, both times.
    My advice is avoid Bilstein B4s that Eurocarparts sell as they soon knock and leak (googling confirmed this is common for these on all makes of car).
    Try O.E. BOGE/Sachs or KYB as used on Japanese cars and bikes.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0