Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Leads, cap, rotor or what make is the coil?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Once again, thank you for the response. 1am in the morning is very late to be sorting my car out!

The new coil is BERU
    Ignition leads which I have not changed are BREMI
    The recon distributor came with cap and rotor arm but do not have a make stamped on them. Unfortunately I no longer have the box they came in and the receipt from GSF does not give a make.

One other thing, the new Bosch plugs from Halfords are WR7DC+. According to GSF they should be WR7LTC+

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    An ADZ should use a Bosch WR 7 LT+ or WR 7 LTC+. Beru coils and Bremi leads are fine. I would do a compression test now but check the pipe to the servo from the inlet manifold, it can split underneath and make number 4 run lean.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Once again thank you for the advice. If I was closer to Nottingham I would have brought my car to you.

I have now taken the car to a small garage (United Repairs in Leamington) that specializes in VWs. They have checked it over and did a compression test which was OK. They have diagnosed the fault as an intermittent short on the 5 volt supply to the coil, disi and fuel injector. Unfortunately they couldn't find the short.

Apparently the circuit in question is the green/white wire on the Disi and green/brown on the coil. They suggested it could be the wiring insulation, relay or connection.

I now have a DTC which is "00516 Closed Throttle (Idle) Positive Switch (F60) 30-10- Open or Short to B+ intermittent". I do not know if this is the cause or result of the misfire. I have cleared the fault and will see if it returns.

If anything the misfire is getting worse and the engine will now cut out on idle every few minutes wheras before it only occasionally cut out.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    00516 Idling switch F60 Open circuit/short circuit to positive

1) F60 defective, always open, Check F60

Go into basic settings 04, Display Group 01. Observe the 2nd position from left in display zone 4, the 8 digit number block, it should show 01000010. Open the throttle slightly and the display at the 2nd position from left must jump to 0, showing 00000010. If the display does not indicate as described, check the idling switch adjustment.

2) Wiring open circuit
    3) Accelerator cable incorrectly adjusted - Adjust accelerator cable
    4) Check fuse 15

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

6. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Many thanks again for the reply.

I have followed your advice and results were

1. zone 4 jumped from 01000010 to 00000010 when I opened the throttle slightly, so all working correctly.
    2. I am not sure which wiring to check is open circuit
    3. Accelerator cable. Throttle is fully open when accelerator pedal is fully depressed. Pedal up and there is a little slack in the cable with throttle fully closed. It all seems fine.
    4. I swapped fuse 15 with another 10 amp fuse and still the misfire is there.

I reset the fault codes yesterday and there are now no fault codes, ie 00516 has not returned.

I have fitted a new fuel pump relay, there is no ecu relay on this car but still the misfire.

Another symptom, when the car misfires there is a "pssst" sound from the injector.

I am now at a loss what to do other than look for an intermittent short in the wiring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The “pssst” noise sounds like an inlet valve not sealing.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

With reference to item 2 (wiring open circuit) I have now found in my manual how to"Check and adjust idling switch (F60) gap" and that involves checking for open circuits and measuring resistance so will get on and do that.

Regards

Jon

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

I have tried to summarize below where I have got to.

The DTC 00516 has not reappeared, I suspect it was caused whilst the garage was looking for the fault.

When I took the car to United Repairs they initially suspected something was wrong with the head but when I collected the car they said that the compression was OK and that the misfire is random and can occur on any cylinder which seems to rule out a head problem.

United Repairs were very definite that it was a loss of the 5 volt electrical supply to the disi, coil and fuel injector which was causing the misfire. What they could not tell me was the cause of the voltage loss.

The symptoms are
    1. The misfire does not occur on startup but develops as the engine warms up, getting worse as the engine gets hotter.
    2. I have noticed that the engine pinks very noticeably when the engine is cold and on tickover but not a noticeable misfire.
    3. There is a "pssst" sound from the injector when the misfire occurs

I have replaced the following
    a. Disi including rotor arm and cap
    b. Coil
    c. Ignition Leads
    d. Spark Plugs
    e. Fuel Injector Relay (which I understand is also the ecu relay)

Of the above c, d and e made no difference. I still have some suspicions about the disi and coil as the misfire was not present before these were changed.

I don't think it is a loose or chafed wire as I would expect the misfire to occur when the engine was cold. Unless it is something to do with the heat on the insulation.

My suspicion is the disi but I it was an exchange unit so I cannot fit the old one and it takes 6 weeks to have it tested.

I am at a loss as to what to do next, other than drive the car and hope that it either stops or produces a DTC.

If you have any thoughts like how I can test the disi or what else I can test/change it would be greatly appreciated. Also is there any way I can use Vag Com (409.1 licensed or VCDS Lite shareware) to test the voltage to the disi, coil and fuel injector to check what United Repairs are telling me.

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The coil and dizzy supply voltage is 12v...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast