Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly)

1. 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi, I was looking for some advice. I have recently handed back my company car, a 3 year old A3 170 sportback front wheel drive and its breaks were fantastic. Hitting them hard the car would stop ona penny with ABS crunching in. My replacement, I've bought myself a 3 year old Passat 140 4motion and thought it had quite spongy breaks, noticed the break fluid needed changing after 3 years so have just had this done. It's made a marginal improvement but the breaks are still not a patch on the a A3. I know the car is heavier and therefore would expect it to have longer stopping distance but the ABS isn't even kicking in.
    My thoughts are, and it's a question to anyone with a 4motion, does the 4motion system (differentials, drive shafts etc.) have an impact on the breaks? Would it go some way to stop them locking up under normal road conditions when breaking hard? Or should they react in the same way as the A3's?
    Visual checks by VW, the front discs and pads are fairly new 10% worn and the rears 90% worn so do need changing. Could there be anything else, servo?
    Another thing is that it's breaking evenly, it's not grabbing on one side or anything like so whatever it is, it's a happening centrally.
    Thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Find a very quiet road somewhere and try braking with your left foot hard!

0 0 0

3. Re: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Yep, tried that and the brakes don't lock up/ABS.

0 0 0

4. Re: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not knowing so much about the 4motions but they will only gear on all 4 wheels obviously and not brake....the braking system shouldn't be too different? not sure though, when you turn the ignition on does the ABS light come on for a few seconds and then go off? If not that could indicate a problem, also if it stayed on for too long it could indicate a problem, i guess taking it into a garage and getting them to plug into it could show any fault codes stored? Failing that i don't know, strangely i have the opposite problem where my Audi brakes have never felt as good as my Passat brakes, nothing a miss though!

0 0 0

5. Re: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 4 motion system does not affect the brakes,it should have the equivalent brakes to the audi,

0 0 0

6. Re: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've new been that pleased with the brakes on my estate, thinking of going for some larger discs and calipers, probably vented or slotted...Reckon that should improve things

Rich

0 0 0

7. Re: 4motion Breaking Issue (Possibly) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Remember guys, if you possibly cannot bare having to have a passat 4motion just PM me hahaha....I'm looking for one but they are like rocking horse .....

0 0 0