Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Jonny88 Guest
    For quite a while now I have been experiencing very loud and sharp thumping noises from the back of the car when going through things like pot holes and little bumps in the road, even at relatively low speeds (15mph ish).

From what I've read on threads about rear bushes on here, it sounds like mine might have seen better days.

Anyway when I had it up on the ramp yesterday getting the exhaust sorted, I took the opportunity to take some photos of what I believe are the rear bushes.

Would appreciate it if someone could confirm a) if they are the bushes and b) what they think/if they need replacing.

Cheers in advance.

Jonny.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Jonny88 Guest
    More photos.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They have seen better days for sure. Changed mine last year and it was displaying the same symptoms. The best way to remove them is to get the rubber part out, use a hack saw to cut through the remaining metal sleeve. Clean the hole in the sub frame up, apply a little grease, and use a puller to insert them. You will never het them in without a puller. Please make sure you notice the correct way they fit before taking the old ones out, as this is vital. I would by the febi ones, and these can be easily bought off ebay. hope this helps.

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this happened on my bora and i replaced them with powerflex bushes off ebay took half a day to replace but are fine now

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ive done a few of theses at work and i always remove the beam (some say its more work) because then when it comes to fitting the new bush i use the vice to fit them it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, if i had the correct puller id do them in place but i dont so i remove the beam

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have done loads and have the correct puller for extracting them, it is a nightmare without the tools.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny88 View Post
    For quite a while now I have been experiencing very loud and sharp thumping noises from the back of the car when going through things like pot holes and little bumps in the road, even at relatively low speeds (15mph ish).

From what I've read on threads about rear bushes on here, it sounds like mine might have seen better days.

Anyway when I had it up on the ramp yesterday getting the exhaust sorted, I took the opportunity to take some photos of what I believe are the rear bushes.

Would appreciate it if someone could confirm a) if they are the bushes and b) what they think/if they need replacing.

Cheers in advance.

Jonny.
    As instructed, get a pair of Febi solid bushes, they are mounted in a alloy sleeve and not plastic resin like the Lemforder (OEM) ones. I also done a few of these and its very hard job to replace them without the correct tool. I also have the puller tool for sale if interested, only used it once... Crasher rig is very nice and expensive as well but the same job can be done with a 100 quid sealey puller- i guarantee you wont need to do-it again ! Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

0 0 0

8. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The steel sleeved Golf 4 platform rear axle bushes are the hydro originals which are rubbish where reliability is concerned, comfortable as they are they just do not last. These are VW number 1J0 501 541 B or D and were dropped without replacement on 01/09/2002 but are still available from Febi as their 19928 but I will not use them.

The late design bushes are Steel Elastomer void bushes, VW 1J0 501 541 D but now 6R0 501 541 A (Febi 31547) and look, feel and act like plastic, these are what was fitted to the Golf 4 platform from around 2002 and are the same bushes used in the latest 6R Polo. They are utterly reliable and apart from fitting Powerflex or Super Pro as an upgrade, I have only ever had to replace one pair due to wear.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Jonny88 Guest
    This is why I love this forum!! So many knowledgeable people sharing and passing on such useful information to others. Thank you very much guys, it's hugely appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    As instructed, get a pair of Febi solid bushes, they are mounted in a alloy sleeve and not plastic resin like the Lemforder (OEM) ones. I also done a few of these and its very hard job to replace them without the correct tool. I also have the puller tool for sale if interested, only used it once... Crasher rig is very nice and expensive as well but the same job can be done with a 100 quid sealey puller- i guarantee you wont need to do-it again ! Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.
    Cheers for that Chris, how much would you like for the puller???

Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    ive done a few of theses at work and i always remove the beam (some say its more work) because then when it comes to fitting the new bush i use the vice to fit them it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, if i had the correct puller id do them in place but i dont so i remove the beam
    How difficult is it to remove the beam mate?? I assume from Crasher's picture that a proper ramp is required and that simply axles stands wouldn't cut it??

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The steel sleeved Golf 4 platform rear axle bushes are the hydro originals which are rubbish where reliability is concerned, comfortable as they are they just do not last. These are VW number 1J0 501 541 B or D and were dropped without replacement on 01/09/2002 but are still available from Febi as their 19928 but I will not use them.

The late design bushes are Steel Elastomer void bushes, VW 1J0 501 541 D but now 6R0 501 541 A (Febi 31547) and look, feel and act like plastic, these are what was fitted to the Golf 4 platform from around 2002 and are the same bushes used in the latest 6R Polo. They are utterly reliable and apart from fitting Powerflex or Super Pro as an upgrade, I have only ever had to replace one pair due to wear.
    Thanks for that Crasher. Do you recommend buying genuine from VW over other brands??? I shouldn't think there is much difference in price is there?? What are the advantages of having Powerflex or Super Pro bushes fitted and are they much more expensive??

Cheers for your help everyone.

0 0 0

10. Re: Rear bushes gone....?? Photos attached. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    to remove the rear beam, disconnect both flexi brake hoses and ABS sensors, both handbrake cables, undo both lower shock bolts and remove the road springs then undo the to main beam bolts, thats the beam removed (with help from someone as its heavy)

Crasher what make/part number is that puller, i could do with one

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast