1. Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've put about 1/4 tankful of unleaded in my Diesel 2.5TDI.

It was running OK for the journey back from the Petrol Station, now it won't start...

Any advice?
    Allroad 2.7 TT 2004
    Jensen Interceptor III (Now sadly Sold)
    Giant full-sus Mountain bike
    Urban Mover Electric Mountainboard
    Chinese no-name electric bike

0 0 0

2. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    1/4 of a tank on top of how much deisel. Not that it really matters as it won't start then you are going to need to drain system change the filter, prime and bleed it, depending on the engine, and fire it back up. Regards Peter

0 0 0

3. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for getting back,

It's completely full at the moment with aprix 3/4 diesel.

Is the procedure for draining, priming etc in ELSAWIN?
    Allroad 2.7 TT 2004

0 0 0

4. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had a look at ELSAWIN, it appears you can take of the fuel pipe and jump a fuse in the fuse box to get the pump to run.

Could I use this to empty the tank?

If I'm sucessful, would I need a vacuum pump to pull the new (uncontaminated) fuel through?

Are there vacuum pumps affordable or would it be best to throw it at the dealer?
    Allroad 2.7 TT 2004

0 0 0

5. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You need to supply the engine code. However you have an Allroad so running the pump is to keep the baffle pot filled up by running the jet pump if the tank is less than 1/3 full. Elsa details how to drain a large amount of fuel out but not all. Where are you going to put 70 odd litres of mixed fuel.
    To bleed the system and if all else fails then place a piece of pipe into a large glass or ridgid plastic bottle with the pipe going to the bottom of the bottle then offer up a suitable vacuum cleaner attachments and tape it onto the open neck of the bottle ensureing you do not squash the pipe. Check it is air tight. make sure the container can NOT fall over or the vacuum will injest fuel, connect it all up to the tandem pump and turn the vacuum on and it will pull the fuel through for you filling the bottle. Avoid injesting ANY fuel into the vacuum, it is 25% petrol
    You will need to put quite a lot of fuel in to refill the baffle and get the deisel content up. Regards Peter

0 0 0

6. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks,

Engine number is AKE 132625.

I can store the contaminated fuel temporarily..

Looking at ELSAWIN, (attached drawings) it looks like I can follow the manual
    "Detach fuel return line -3- coming from injectors of right-side cylinder bank at injection pump.Fit a suitable length of transparent hose -1- onto the free connection at the injection pump and use an adapter -2- to run the hose into a suitable container (fuel canister or similar).Operate remote control switch until fuel comes out of hose free of bubbles."

Seems to me that I can attach a hand pump here (I've just found one) and suck all the fuel out into a container.
    Or even easier, jump the fusebox and get the fuel pump to do all the work.
    How does that sound ?

Attached Images
    Allroad 2.7 TT 2004

0 0 0

7. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Correct with your serial number the pump actually drives the jet pump and acts as a lifter so you do not need a vacuum puller. Regards Peter

0 0 0

8. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you with the AA? - they have special "misfuel patrols" which can sort it all out.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

9. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like I have a fix of sorts..

Went out this morning to start disconnecting fuel lines and do some serious bleeding......and the bloody thing started !

Ran a bit rough at first, but it was running.....and I was no longer stranded.

As the tank was completely full, I used my hand pump and a piece of PVC hose about the length of the channel tunnel (where does it all go?) to suck out as much as I had containers for..

With the engine still running, I managed to get the level down to just above 1/4 full before I ran out of cans...

Off to the petrol station and filled to the brim with new diesel. I recon there is about 1/8th petrol in there at ther moment and I'll keep topping up to gradually reduce it. I'll also try leaving the filler cap off so the petrol gradually evaporates.

Car starts and runs just fine now, but I'm taking it easy until I can be sure the petrol percentage is insignificant.

Assuming nothing blows up, it could be that I've "got away with it" (for now).

I'm sure some sort of damage has been done in one way or another, but time will tell what it is.

Next job: Change the filter.

Then I'll get to try out my bleeding technique....

And talking of bleeding, I still haven't got round to doing the brakes!
    Allroad 2.7 TT 2004

0 0 0

10. Re: Help! Put Unleaded in my Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds like you have been lucky, it might pay to put a fuel treatment in the tank, something like Forte diesel treatment, just to be on the safe side mate

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast