Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Unhappy Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    kwic50 Guest
    Hi I wonder if anyone has removed the heater control switches and had the control cable fall out of place? any idea's to the location of where it belongs, I have been under the dash with a torch and mirror all day.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Hopefully Jim (Flash2) will be along to help....In the meantime have a read of this earlier thread on here:
    https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//...ad.php?t=10837

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Yes, I'm here
    The easiest way to get this sorted is to pop into your local VW dealer and tell them that it has stopped working. They'll fix it for you for free under warranty. just don't tell them you've had the controls off.

I assume that the cable has detached at the heater box end. If you lift the heater controls out and look into the right side of the hole, up under the radio you should see the hole where the cable connects. It's a barsteward to refit so if it's not obvious that you've had the control panel off, take it to the dealer. If that's not an option, switch on the heater and find out where the air is coming out. If it's coming out the demister vents then rotate the control to the demist symbol. If it's blowing out at your feet, set the control to that position. That gets the cable and the socket on the heater box aligned in the correct positions. Remove the radio. There is a hole at the bottom of the space where the radio fits. Get the fingers of your left hand in that whole and try and grip the end of the cable as you push the heater panel in with your right. Now, do you remember where that hole you saw earlier is? Your goal is to try and move the cable about until it pushes into that hole. Like I said, it's a barsteward. I usually remove the side panel from the off side of the floor consol and get someone to lie on their back and look up under the dash and guide me towards the hole.
    Sorry, but there is no by the numbers way to do this. It's just touchie feelie until it clicks into place. Take it to Western (isn't Edinburgh in the East?).

Good luck - Jim.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Well I managed to snap a couple of photos of the heater cable to see if it will help you refit it. I did a bit of mucking about to see what was the best way to refit it. I found that the best way to get at the cable is to remove...wait for it...the airbag, steering wheel and lower steering cowling. I know that sounds like a lot of bother, but it only takes a few mins to strip it all off if you have the tools handy, (a T20 torx driver for the cowling and a 10mm spline socket for the steering wheel) and it'll be quicker in the..eh..long run...if you see what I mean.

The airbag is removed by adjusting the steering column down as low as it will go and pulling it out towards you. Turn the steering wheel to the 3 o'clock position and insert the blade of a plain screw driver in the hole on the back of the steering wheel and rotate the driver towards the off side. Rotate the wheel through 180 degrees and repeat the last step. Disconnect the yellow airbag connector by pulling the release lever at the top towards you with your finger. Keep the ignition off while the airbag is removed or you'll bring the warning light on.
    Make sure the wheels are straight before removing the steering wheel. There is an index mark on the wheel and another on the steering shaft that help ensure the wheel is refitted straight. Don't rotate the airbag slip ring while the steering wheel is removed.

Below are a couple of photos taken through the space where the steering cowling is fitted.

I hope that helps, Keith.

Jim.
    Attached Images

2 2 0

5. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    These pictures saved my bacon this morning, I removed the heater controls and then discovered the cable had come a drift, I had no idea where it had come from, but thanks to this post and pictures I was easily able to see where and put it back in without having to strip out the dashboard, steering wheel etc as you had!!

0 0 0

6. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Glad I could help.

Jim.

0 0 0

7. Thumbs up Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two years later, and this post is still helping.

I fitted the Connects2 IPOD adaptor and the heater control cable fell off - couldn't work out where it went until I came across this post. CHEERS!!

0 0 0

8. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Your very welcome.

Jim.

0 0 0

9. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi bluetba. Im new on here, but have the same problem locating where the cable goes. exactly where is it? Ive stripped the centre console out and still cant see.....please help

0 0 0

10. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetba View Post
    These pictures saved my bacon this morning, I removed the heater controls and then discovered the cable had come a drift, I had no idea where it had come from, but thanks to this post and pictures I was easily able to see where and put it back in without having to strip out the dashboard, steering wheel etc as you had!!
    can you pls enlighten me. Were you able to refit cable by only removing heater controls, without removing the radio?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast