Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all my cable has also come out of place but when put back in place feels like we're cable comes from heater unit seems seized hence only having heating only coming out or air vents on dash can't move it to feet or windscreen could anybody advise what to do it is not electronic unit it is manual again seems seized if this is possible. All help greatly appreciated

0 0 0

2. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Hi , I have just read a great discription to a solution to your problem, by user - FLash2, under the "passat B6" fourm. look it up as a just read it and its good info.
    I had the same problem last year with my heating control dials, and joined this form and got the info from the helpfull folk on here,
    As FLash 2 reply says , it a touchy feelly job, and a heck of alot a patience required. I had my heater controls and radio out on 4 seprate occasions, and it was the 4th time that I finally got it sorted.
    The cable that connects from the back of the heater direction control knob , I found out is called the "Bowden Cable". It connects from the rear of the heater directional control knob , up just behind the radio casing in the dashboard @ the rear right hand side of the radio. As FLash2 details say, its the bit behind the radio thats the touchy feely bit with no direct access, I was useing 2 of the Misiss smallest make up mirrors to try see in / behind / right hand side of radio panel. You need to take the radio out, you'll see few we circle triangle type holes in the casing were the radio slides into, you need to try stick 1 or 2 of your left hand fingers in through the bit nearest the rear right hand side of the radio unit and feel about for a wee round connection with very small plastic teeth on the inside of the circlular connection, this is were the top of the "Bowden Cable " connects to, in order to turn the air vent direction from windscreen/ dash vents/feet etc. Like a says it took 4 attempts at it, but stick with and you will get it eventually.
    Here what order I got Bowden cable reconected:
    1) Take out radio & Heater controls from dash
    2) Connect Bowden cable to rear of heater control dial
    3) As you push heater control panel back into dash, route the bowden cable up the right hand side Behind the plastic casing of were the radio slids into in the dash
    4) As you put heater controls back into dash board, you need to know were the top end of the bowden cable goes, as it is only just long enough to fit exactly, there no play in it, so as you put the heater controls back into the dash with you right hand , you need to wiggle them bit and grab top end of cable with your left hands fingers that are poking through the right hand side of radio casing, to position the top of the cable onto the wee circular bit with the small plastic teeth on the inside of the circular connection, so as you push in the heater controls back in flush with the dashboard, the top of bowden cable will push in at same time as its an exact fit with no play in it.

Hope this helps.
    Paul757

0 0 0

3. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul757 View Post
    I have just read a great discription to a solution to your problem, by user - FLash2, under the "passat B6" fourm. look it up as a just read it and its good info.
    Aw shucks...cheers mate

Would that be this post : Heater-Control-Cable-(air-Distribution)

0 0 0

4. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, can you let me know what the symptoms of your problem were please? First 'cold' day today and I found that the driver's side would only blow cold air but the passenger side worked fine. I'm thinking that I may have dislodged the control cable when i changed my head unit but would have thought that it would have affected both sides rather than just one. Thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I found that the driver's side would only blow cold air but the passenger side worked fine.
    Sounds like your car has dual zone climate control?

If that's the case there aren't any cables. It's a fully electronic system that uses electric motors to operate the controls. Maybe one of the motors has failed.

0 0 0

6. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks - yep, does have dual zone climate. Guess I'm off to get it scanned for faults.

Just an update. Scan complete and all blower motors working however the sensor in the driver's vent appears to have failed as it's stuck on 80degrees. I don't profess to understand how this works but guess the sensor thinks it's warmer than it is meaning it blows cold air? Anyway, I'll change the sensor and see what happens.
    Last edited by Degsy; 19-09-2017 at 08:15 PM.

0 0 0

7. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello flash. I have the same issue but my cable came off both side. I know the control panel side but where is the other side goes and what is look like. Dont know what i am looking for

0 0 0

8. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hmm....I've seen where to top part goes, now I don't know whether you can get to it by removing the radio or the dash board. The top part connects to a wheel like system which as you turn the direction of where you want the air con to blow, it turns this thing that controls the air flow direction. The position of the part that connects to the opposite end of the control panel is located at the right side of the radio/below right side vent of the middle vent. It won't be hard to find, just start removing trim. All I can help you with is where it's located, I'm not too sure what side you'd need to get to it but the cable is like only 20-30cm long so it isn't too far from the air con control panel!

0 0 0

9. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem with my 07 Passat today. The holder for the cable is right behind the top right back corner of the radio console. The easiest way to reinsert it is to remove the radio, loosen out the heater control panel. This gives you a bit of extra play with the cable itself. Put your hand in and direct the cable to the top corner. There is only one way it can go back in, but once you have it in line with the holder itself, it's just a case od adjusting the cable, via the dial, until it clicks into place. Takes about 5 mins. Hope this helps.

0 0 0

10. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I managed to do the same and struggling to put the cable back in place. I can't find the photos. I'd be much obliged, if you could send those photos again. Kind regards.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast