Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pls pm me, as I have the radio and controls out, and still cannot figure out how to refit the cable, its 10" long overall, and it was positioned through a oval gap of the metal bar behind the controls. behind there I see like a two pronged plastic fork on the heater housing, but between it is no hole. As the cable is so short, it has to be there somewhere. pls help, so frustrating

0 0 0

2. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Flash2;52551]Yes, I'm here
    The easiest way to get this sorted is to pop into your local VW dealer and tell them that it has stopped working. I wonder where you get that idea from, my vw dealer knows nothing about it, in fact he's never come across the problem.

0 0 0

3. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update for those coming up against the problem of losing connection of the heater air flap control. Having learned how to do it, in fact it really is not as difficult as some suggest. On the passat B6 remove the radio and a/c control facia. It is all done by feel, so search to the top right corner of the radio housing, beyond where you can see, you will feel the teeth of the linkage, a bit below that explore the plastic heater housing lower down, you should clearly feel a hole aiming upward, this gives you an idea what you are aiming for.

Before you connect, operate the heater fan and aim the flaps to screen, and prepare the rotary control pointing to screen too.
    Now, Clip the air flap cable (bowden cable) to the front rotary control, as you push the whole a/c assembly in, guide the cable in to the right side, angled about 45 degrees away from you, now its a matter of finding the hole in the heater housing. I removed the glove box to get to the wheel which operates the flaps and gently wiggled that to align the cogs, but you can simply wiggle the front rotary as you work the whole assembly in, be patient and do not turn the control too far else you lose the alignment. Good luck.

0 0 0

4. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would anyone warrant it? Before I solved the problem, I telephoned 4 different vw service departments. All hummed its a big job requiring dash board to come out, its all electronic, the rotary is electrical they all said, and none had any idea how to fix. Once I discovered it is indeed cable operated, my local dealer, even after talking to their technician, could not tell me where the cable is fed to as they have never come across the problem. They want us to pay over £100 an hour so that they can learn how to fix our cars. Call themselves experts?

0 0 0

5. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread, esp Monzo24 - I managed to sort this out today. I found that you don't really need to take out the heating controls - for me taking the stereo out is sufficient. Finding the hole took a while - I would describe it's location as top right of the Stereo plastic casing - the hole points down and the Bowden cable (which is pointing up!) just slots into it - too be honest, I'd thought I'd stuck it into a screw housing for the casing - but was very pleasantly surprised when the thing actually worked - it didn't slot in with a click or any other sign that it was supposed to go there.
    Anyway - I hope this adds to the already good advice posted

Happy bodging!

0 0 0

6. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I too owe someone here a beer! Once I had seen the photo, I disconnected the bowden cable at the heater control end and by putting my hand through the largest hole at the back of the radio space put the cable back in within a minute. Wow my bluetooth kit is harder to fit then I thought. Next question - can anybody explain where I can should attach the loose red wire of my SOT harness which I am using to fit my bluetooth kit - mki9100. The harness comes with an ignition live but I think I need a permanent 12v live. I have ordered an 'add a circuit' and am hoping to find a permanent live on one of the interior fuse boxes - not sure which one though. I will get my multimeter out - but have read that the CANBUS may confuse things.

Thanks again for the help. 12V permanent live anyone?

0 0 0

7. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When i installed my parrot kit a while back, I'm sure the loose red SOT wire was for ignition live, as the permanent live is taken from the connection from the stereo block itself...
    A3 8V S-Line Cabriolet 2.0 TDI
    -------------------------------------------
    Passat B6 FSI • Passat TDI 105 • BMW E90 318d • BMW F30 320d Lux

0 0 0

8. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patomlin76 View Post
    When i installed my parrot kit a while back, I'm sure the loose red SOT wire was for ignition live, as the permanent live is taken from the connection from the stereo block itself...
    Here is why I am looking for a permanent live.

The 12V label clearly ends up on the loose red wire. Am i wrong?

0 0 0

9. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I'm glad the photos helped with the heater cable.

I think patomlin is correct, the loose wire is usually for an ignition supply. The easiest place to pick up an ignition supply is the passenger airbag warning light on the radio surround trim. From memory, it's the yellow wire (yellow/blue) that is the ignition supply to the lamp. If you disconnect the warning lamp, don't switch the ignition on or a fault will be logged in the airbag ECM and the airbag warning light on the instrument panel will come on. I don't usually disconnect the passenger airbag warning light when I remove the radio. I Simply place the trim over the gear stick, with the gear stick through the radio aperture on the trim.

A permanent live can be found on the radio connector. It's a kinda heavy red/yellow wire, opposite the brown earth, but I don't think a permanent live is what your looking for in this case.

Regards.

Jim.

1 0 0

10. Re: Heater Control Cable (air Distribution) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks for the pics and fantastic description, AAHHHHH The answer to my problem....... SOLVED !!!!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast