1. removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One of my number plate lights has failed and, inevitably, the self-tapper holding the lens in doesn't want to budge

I've ordered a pair of lens / holder replacements and won't try anything until I've got them here, but I wondered if there was a consensus on the best way to get the b****r out. Have searched the forum and I know I'm not alone, but I'd appreciate some input. I'm thinking drill / crack / pull out the lens to leave as much of the bolt intact as possible, then attack it with WD40 and molegrips. I could drill the head off, but that leaves less to grab hold of, right?

Anyone tackled this successfully and managed to get a seized self-tapper out without having to replace the entire lock/light plinth?

Cheers in advance!

PS Note to Audi: steel self-tapper with awkward access screwed into aluminium and then left to the elements for years = recipe for lots of swearing. Could we have a better design next time please?
    '07 A4 Avant 2.0PD 170 quattro s-line Special Edition and '94 T4 Westfalia California Club 2.4td fettled by ABT

0 0 0

2. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    best way to go is as you have said, when your new leses arrive break out the old ones and there is a lot more space to turn the screw out using pliers or grips. Mine however still wouldnt budge and the screw head twisted off as the screw is quite soft. had to drill the little buggers out which damaged the threads but the new screws still threaded in without a problem, obviously ive greased the whole lot now so hopefully no future problems.
    A4 AVANT 2.5TDI SPORT QUATTRO

1 0 0

3. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that

I'm thinking now that it might be worth the effort taking out the boot trim and removing the whole lock / number plate light plinth. Bit more hassle, but I'll be able to get a decent angle on the screws and it'll be easier to drill them out if I have to.

If anyone's wondering how to do this, I found a useful guide here (disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet! )
    '07 A4 Avant 2.0PD 170 quattro s-line Special Edition and '94 T4 Westfalia California Club 2.4td fettled by ABT

0 0 0

4. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will deffo be easier. good luck
    A4 AVANT 2.5TDI SPORT QUATTRO

0 0 0

5. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SebRogers View Post
    Thanks for that

I'm thinking now that it might be worth the effort taking out the boot trim and removing the whole lock / number plate light plinth. Bit more hassle, but I'll be able to get a decent angle on the screws and it'll be easier to drill them out if I have to.

If anyone's wondering how to do this, I found a useful guide here (disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet! )
    Hey there.

Im having the very same issue. How did you get on with removing the seized screws in the end?

Im actually contemplating buying the whole new plate light plinth as its p***ing me off.

Thanks

An annoyed S4 owner

W

0 0 0

6. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblish View Post
    Hey there.

Im having the very same issue. How did you get on with removing the seized screws in the end?

Im actually contemplating buying the whole new plate light plinth as its p***ing me off.

Thanks

An annoyed S4 owner

W
    The hardest part is pulling the boot trim plastics off. Once you've done that removing the plinth isn't too bad . It's worth the effort, because even if you have to drill the heads off the screws and then get them out with molegrips (like I did) there's a good chance you can rescue the plinth. Complete new light assemblies aren't too expensive, but the plinth IIRC is silly money (sorry, can't remember exactly how much). If you're doing the job yourself it's worth trying to save the plinth before you splash on a new one, IMHO.

Took me about 45 minutes and cost around £20 or thereabouts for the new lights, I think.

Good luck!

(Oh yeah, and to save future problems I sealed all round the edge of the lenses and over the screw heads with some sealant. Hard to do tidily (though no-one's going to see it) but judging by the state of the old units most of the problems were caused by water ingress around the edges of the lenses.)

0 0 0

7. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    In my experience "Plus Gas" is far better than WD40 for this type of problem.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

8. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    YAY.

Digging the plastic off around the screw and then using a set of grips to twist out the screw worked - took ages mind.

One thing fixed but the Airbag light just came on - ho hum. Ive a scanner so i might just clear the error and see if it pops up again.

Thanks for your time guys. Back to detailing the car now.

W

0 0 0

9. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I had the exact same issue, headless rusty screw wont budge, and I was not able to get anything in to grip it at all, so in the end I drilled a new mounting hole in the light frame, and just put a new screw into a new hole. Worked fine, looks ok.

0 0 0

10. Re: removing seized number plate light screws 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    ooooh good idea, ill do the same this weekend as well.

0 0 0