1. EGR valve removal AWX engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Following a slight rough running issue with my car just before New Year, https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=111633 , i've had no further problems since. I think it may have been caused by a sticking EGR valve which to my knowledge has never been cleaned since new. As the car is now 6 years old and has done 171k miles, i'm looking to tackle this job in the next week or so. I've attached some pictures below - everything looks straightforward other than an allen headed bolt which appears to be located at the bottom of the EGR and from what I can see there is no way to get a socket / allen key on it due to limited access? I've highlighted this with a red arrow on the second picture.

Can any one who has done this job on their car advise please? From what I can see I just have to remove the air pipe, remove the pipe which goes to the exhaust and is held on by 2 x 10mm bolts and then remove the 3 bolts which hold the EGR to the inlet manifold. It is just the lower bolt that is causing me some concern. I was hoping not to have to remove the inlet manifold unless absolutely necessary. Incidently, I have tried running the car with the EGR vacuum pipe plugged for the last few days to disable the EGR. Although it ran well, the engine management doesn't seem to like this as the 'Emissions Workshop' message appeared after 12 miles and a fault code of 19586. This could only be cleared using VCDS and would not reset by just switching the ignition off and back on again.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR valve removal AWX engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is not necessary to remove the manifold,with the right socket you can access the lower bolt

0 0 0

3. Re: EGR valve removal AWX engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...TDI-carbon.htm

If it was me I'd remove the manifold and cooler and clean the lot. See above how to.

Also see below for disabling the EGR system through VAG-COM
    http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#j

0 0 0

4. Re: EGR valve removal AWX engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_HMR View Post
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...TDI-carbon.htm

If it was me I'd remove the manifold and cooler and clean the lot. See above how to.

Also see below for disabling the EGR system through VAG-COM
    http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#j
    Thanks for the replies, i've seen those links before however they seem more relevant to an earlier non PD type engine. I don't really want to start taking the manifold off - it is just the EGR I would like to clean in case it starts sticking again. I'll see how bad it looks when I take the EGR off and make a decision from there. There are no issues with the way it runs at the moment - loads of power and returning great economy.

0 0 0

5. Re: EGR valve removal AWX engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think I may need t do this too. What is the result of cleaning it in situ with carb cleaner? Anyone tried this without dismantling?

0 0 0

6. Re: EGR valve removal AWX engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apart from being difficult to access the valve from the back of the engine bay, it is likely that the carbon and cleaner will fall into the inlet manifold and then get injested by the engine when you start it up. I wouldn't risk it as you could damage your engine.

0 0 0