Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion

1. 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Greengrocer Guest
    Hi All.

I drove my wifes Corsa for the first time the other night & was amazed at how much better her headlights were than my 2003 A6. So this got me researching what upgrades I could do to make niightime driving easier and safer generally. Having discounted a HID conversion (not technically legal without other mods) I've ordered some Oram Night Breaker bulbs for the main beam. Awaiting delivery so we'll see if these make any difference in due course.

So onto my my main question. Along with DRLs fog lights doubling up as cornering lights seem to be de-rigor on some new models e.g. Superb. Also saw a 59 Golf with this today.
    Assuming this is legal I was wondering if anyone has managed to do this as a conversion on a 2003 A6 SE & if so what was involved.
    It would appear that when factory fitted to new models the fog light assy may have two bulbs. Obviously this is not the case with my A6 which has a single H7 fog bulb. So the question is can the single bulb be used as a dual function fog & cornering light linked to the side indicator?

Whilst on the subject of lights has anyone fitted DRLs to a C5 A6? If so what kit was used & where did you locate them? The fog light grille below the bumper looks to be favorite. I'm thinking about adding DRLs to my A6 but don't want them to look Naf - or have I just answered my own question? I know you can buy replacement headlight assemblies complete with DRLs (R8 style) but these are quite expensive. However, if it saves chopping up grilles the replacement headlight unit may be better after all. Anyone fitted or got any pics of a C5 with an R8 style headlamp conversion?

Any ideas or comment appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    R8 headlight conversion sounds good what are the costs involved to do this? I have the same year (2003) C5 A6 but would the drl`s work automatically?
    A6 3.0ltr v6.
    SE Quattro.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Greengrocer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdy A6 View Post
    R8 headlight conversion sounds good what are the costs involved to do this? I have the same year (2003) C5 A6 but would the drl`s work automatically?
    Hi Howdy A6.
    I’ve seen some R8 headlights for around £269 here http://turborevs.org.uk/vmchk/angel-...eadlights.html Not sure if these the right ones though – says 1997-2002 model & the shape of the lens doesn’t look right. I also suspect these are basic units with no bulbs. Needs further investigation.
    Others on USA sites are upwards of $400 & can be supplied with std bulbs or HID conversions. Not sure if these would be OK for a R/H drive car or not at present. See here http://www.lltek.com/audi_headlights...g_lights_f.htm This site has some pics by the look of it. Click on the link below the A6 headlamp picture. To see the pics you have to sign up to the forum. I’m always a bit suspect of overseas forums when it com to cars since there are so many different variations of models which is why I posted on this site to get feed back from UK members.
    Anyone else with any ideas, info or comments on my fog / cornering light dilemma?

0 0 0

4. Re: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hate to sound negative, but there's a C5 A6 saloon round our way with some of these aftermarket headlamps fitted, and in my opinion it has achieved the exact look you would expect - cheap, nasty chav mod.

When it comes to cornering lamps, most modern cars that come with them fitted as standard just use the foglamps so you would not need to fit extra lamps. What you would have to do is find some way for the individual lights to light when you indicate, and only when you do so below 20mph. Try driving home with your foglamps on and see if it makes enough of a difference for it to be worth the hassle.

If I were you I would put the money aside that you were planning to spend on these mods and keep it ready for something useful like a cambelt change or new tyres.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Greengrocer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mk3 man View Post
    I hate to sound negative, but there's a C5 A6 saloon round our way with some of these aftermarket headlamps fitted, and in my opinion it has achieved the exact look you would expect - cheap, nasty chav mod.

When it comes to cornering lamps, most modern cars that come with them fitted as standard just use the foglamps so you would not need to fit extra lamps. What you would have to do is find some way for the individual lights to light when you indicate, and only when you do so below 20mph. Try driving home with your foglamps on and see if it makes enough of a difference for it to be worth the hassle.

If I were you I would put the money aside that you were planning to spend on these mods and keep it ready for something useful like a cambelt change or new tyres.
    Yep I agree with you. The more I think about the "Devil eyes" headlights the more I think they'll look naff on what is basically a stock A6 1.9TDi Avant SE. As luck would have it I saw a old model Passat with these type headlights parked up in north London yesterday & like you say it did look a bit "chavvy".

It also looks like the fog light conversion will be more hassle than it's worth as well.

Well I've just fitted the Osram Night Breaker bulbs so I'll see what improvement they make this evening. I may also upgrade the H7 bulbs in the fogs as well since I tend you use these on country roads at night to supplement the crap headlights. Just have to remember to turn off the fogs on main roads as the boys in blue are getting a bit hot round our way on modified lights and people driving with fogs on in normal conditions (hence why I discounted a HID conversion).
    Have recently done the cambelt (ouch) and a clutch & DMF (ouch ouch) so it's probably time to recharge the bank account. Thanks for the sensible advise.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mk3 man View Post

I have to agree with you, after having a good look and read of the links I think I will stick with what I have. Thanks for the links though.
    A6 3.0ltr v6.
    SE Quattro.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2003 A6 Fog light to corner light conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greengrocer View Post
    Just have to remember to turn off the fogs on main roads as the boys in blue are getting a bit hot round our way on modified lights and people driving with fogs on in normal conditions...
    I'm a bit puzzled by this business about the use of front fog lights. Not what their intended use is, but quite why they are a source of such irritation both to the rozzers and a lot of other motorists.

For example, I've seen several Skoda Yetis of late with their daytime running lights on, and to all intents and purposes they look the same as illuminated fog lights.

A front fog light beam is designed to be low and flat, effectively illuminating nothing more than the edge of the road for a relatively short distance in front of the car, so provided they are aimed correctly - as the law prescribes - why shouldn't they be used as daytime running lights?

The fact that they cause such a hoo-ha means that people have noticed them (and the car to which they are fitted) and surely that's the whole point of running lights, isn't it?

On the other hand, the inappropriate use of rear fog lights is a completely different issue, and one which coppers who find themselves with no murderers to catch should be addressing.

Followed quickly by handcuffs, a full cavity search, a roughing-up in the cells and a few months at Her Majesty's pleasure for the chumps who use them in perfectly good visibility.

0 0 0