Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 7 Speed DSG Judder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    garyrm Guest
    Sorry for hijacking your forum for a Skoda related problem but Passat owners have a lot more experience with this type of gearbox.

When accelerating in 2nd gear, especially after slowing down to about 5mph and accelerating again the car tends to judder, its a bit like running over a rumble strip. Skoda have tried a number of things including a replacement and re-programming of the Mechatronic unit and after 7 visits it has still not been fixed. Apart from this the DSG is very smooth just the very occasional slight delay or sudden burst of power when pulling away.

Looking through other threads this does seem to be something which a number of VW users have noticed, but I can't find if this has ever been fixed. What I want to know is has anyone ever had this fixed yet?

My car is a 1.8 TSI 7-Speed DSG.

Any help would be appreciated as Skoda seem to be out of ideas.

0 0 0

2. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garyrm View Post
    Sorry for hijacking your forum for a Skoda related problem but Passat owners have a lot more experience with this type of gearbox.

When accelerating in 2nd gear, especially after slowing down to about 5mph and accelerating again the car tends to judder, its a bit like running over a rumble strip. Skoda have tried a number of things including a replacement and re-programming of the Mechatronic unit and after 7 visits it has still not been fixed. Apart from this the DSG is very smooth just the very occasional slight delay or sudden burst of power when pulling away.

Looking through other threads this does seem to be something which a number of VW users have noticed, but I can't find if this has ever been fixed. What I want to know is has anyone ever had this fixed yet?

Hi Garyrm

I have exactly the same problem with my Golf 1.4 TSI. They replaced my mechatronic unit back in May, which made no difference. I took it in yesterday and VW said they knew what the problem was, but were waiting for a permanent fix. Therefore I have got my car back and will have to wait until they have sorted it out.

Here is a link to an Australian website which reached the same conclusion and also the extract from VW which from memory is the same statement I received:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ear-45873.html

Bulletin 2026097/1 issued 25.08.11. Transmission - Vibrations, jerking and clattering when changing 1 - 2 while accelerating.
    1.4TSi / 7Spd DSG.

Customer's remarks:
    Juddering/Clattering in 2nd gear for 2 seconds accelerating through 5 - 10kph or when changing 1st to 2nd at low speed or when reversing.
    Occurs once the car has warmed up.

Reason:
    Drop of friction value of multiple clutch.

Current situation:
    Currently no effective repair possible. Repalcing the multiple clutch does does not effectively fix the complaint. There is no parts damage. Working on a solution.

Complaint not caused by the two-mass flywheel.

Postpone repairs until a solution is available.

0 0 0

3. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    garyrm Guest
    Thanks, that explains why i still get a judder after Skoda what to the expense of replacing the whole gear box, it is not as bad as the original gear box but is still evident under the same conditions. Overall I am still more than happy with choosing this model but it would be good to see a real fix made available.
    My judder only happens after slowing down to around 5mph then accelerating again from 2nd gear, it never happens from a standing start in first gear so I wonder if the set up should be changed so that 1st gear is selected at a higher speed when slowing down so that acceleration starts in 1st gear and not 2nd.

0 0 0

4. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems very odd that it wasn't the Mechatronics unit. I got my car back about 2 weeks ago from them replacing it and the car drives perfectly now. Seems a bit odd that they don't know what is causing it. The reason they were replacing Mechatronic unit in VW cars was because you would put your foot on the brake when stopping at a traffic light for example and when setting off again, take your foot off the brake but the car has a little delay in the electrics where it still thinks the brakes are on and creates this judder, its a safety system in these gearboxes if im not mistaken. However it's not supposed to judder, the delay is not supposed to be there and it should either not let you move or let you move instantly. It was an an electrical problem basically rather then a mechanical fault. I can't see any other part that would be causing this problem.

Hope they find a solution.

0 0 0

5. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    garyrm Guest
    Hi, I also had my mechatronic unit replaced at first but this made no difference.

My judder only happens when slowing down to around 5mph then accelerating again in 2nd gear. It never happens from a standing start.

the Skoda has an electronic break assist system which comes on when you stop on a hill, when you remove your foot from the break the breaks stay on and then release gradually as you accelerate, this works very well and I have bever noticed any delay or juddering.

0 0 0

6. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Auto-hold feature worked fine for me too even with this problem. That's another part on its own i think. Basically an electric handbrake. I guess you had a different problem to me then. I had it when the car stopped but also when it was moving slowly. I had it in first gear and the reverse gear. If it isn't the clutch or a weak gear plate, either the 1st or second gear then god knows.

0 0 0

7. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    DSG4ME Guest
    My loaner Golf did this, I think it's the dry clutches myself, it is snatchy though.

0 0 0

8. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garyrm View Post

Hi

can you please ell me how on the end you are fix the problem

I have A7 and I have exact same symptoms as you have

Gearbox quatro 05B NPB

0 0 0

9. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine was a clutch pack. I am on my 3rd clutch pack and I have done just over 50,000 miles . The 3rd one was just outside warranty so I had to make a small contribution of Ł120 to the repair although it took a stand off of about 1 month as they wanted me to pay the whole Ł1500 initially. Warranty on the latest clutch pack runs out in February so I will have to get rid of the car. The fault appears to be very common hence the extended warranties in USA and some other countries, but nothing in UK, surprise,surprise.

0 0 0

10. Re: 7 Speed DSG Judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2010 Golf Mk6 1.4 TSI. Poor replacement for my previous Passat. The engine is okay and the overall finish of the car is good, but oh dear. The DSG gearbox. What a nightmare.
    I have the clutch judder moving from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
    Driving down a steep hill mintaining 40mph, the gearbox will change down to 3rd, spinning the engine up to 3000 rpm, even whilst brakes are applied. (German logic or just bonkers.)
    The hill start assist is plain awful. Stop on an upward slope, level road or facing downhill, and 'hill start assist' will immediately engage. Pull handbrake on and wait for vehicle in front to move (I drive through the Blackwall Tunnel daily) and the car will attempt to move forward against the hand brake. I have to apply the hand brake so hard I can feel the cable stretching before it will hold the car. Obvious solution is to hold the car on the foot brake, dazzling the driver behind with the brake lights, or put car in neutral. Why drive a semi automatic if you have to keep moving to N in a queue of traffic?
    Another issue is driving downhill at a constant 30mph. The engine electronics go into panic mode. One moment the power increases to keep up speed, then the power decreases to stop car increasing speed. Result is a stomach churning surging sensation. Upchanges at low speed are accompanied by audio clunking noises from under the car. Gear changes at low speeds should be impossible to detect. But on my car the revs increase between gears before falling back to the new rpm for the road speed/gear configuration. Obvious clutch slip.
    The engine pinks when driving up hill.

Tying to make low speed manouvers is a game of chicken. Put car in drive, foot off brake, nothing. (No hill start assist when you want it). squeeze gently on the gas, nothing. Bit more, nothing, bit more, still nothing. tiny little bit more, FULL POWER!!!!!! Slam brakes on before you ram the car or wall in front of you.

Other highlights, the noise from the rear axle sounds like the off side rear wheel has been replaced with a food processor. The air conditioning (Supposedly Climatronic) has two settings. Roast or freeze and now the car has developed an air bag fault. Plus, for added entertainment, the windows on all four doors occasionally lower them selves when the car is left parked, locked with no persons or pets left in the car.

This car was meant to have been prepared by Das Auto.
    Das car is a lemon.

Back to main dealer (JCB Volkswagen, Ashford) next Monday for some serious investigative work.
    Speed Kills, But you will never get to heaven in a rowing boat!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast