Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Searched and can not find answer
    How the hell do you change the switch . had the lighting switch out ,can see the back of the parking brake switch but ..........................

Thanks in anticipation

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It is dead easy - take the fuse box cover off, and you will be able to see where the wiring plug attaches to the back of the switch - the switch itself simply pushes out of the dash from behind, and then all you need to do is unplug it and change it. There is a sort of wee clip thing that holds the plug onto the back of the switch, that you need to depress to get the plug to release, but that is the worst thing about it. The wiring is a bit tight, but not too bad - give it another shot tomorrow when daylight is on your side, and I am sure you will have it done in less than ten minutes

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers , had got as far as fuse box cover etc , just a bit unsure if there were hidden screws etc , just need some sort of short flat tool to get to the spring clips that I can see on the new switch

I understand there is a softwear up grade for the parking brake , will VW try to charge for it , my view is whatever VW claim, there IS an ongoing issue with this system , and I read elsewear that there is a FOC request for all data and reports on the failures of this system .And as such I want it done FREE

Just done the switch , easy when you know how
    Last edited by sparkyrjp; 30-01-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: update

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't bother getting the software done, as I am pretty sure that VW would have charged for it - I've had no issues since fitting the new switch.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

5. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VW have just replaced my switch FOC as its still under warranty. I was getting 'Parking Brake Failure' messages on nearly all start up and turn off together with the 3 alarm beeps. System worked fine though.

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much does a switch cost?

My car is in for a service today and they have diagnosed a faulty switch. They want £61.06 for parts labour and VAT. I don't particularly want to pay them for labour on such a simple job.

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    two words..... rip & off

part alone is only £23 including VAT, fitting is a 2 min job, so just do it yourself afterwards.
    A3 8V S-Line Cabriolet 2.0 TDI
    -------------------------------------------
    Passat B6 FSI • Passat TDI 105 • BMW E90 318d • BMW F30 320d Lux

1 0 0

8. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. I had told them not to replace it, so I will do it myself.

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking brake switch 
    newb1e Guest
    On the way to MOT today, the parking brake button plays up - the handbrake wouldn't engage. I had a crossed out 'P', flashing 'parking brake failure' display, a flashing button and an annoying bong that starts whenever I drive above 10mph.

I thought this would obviously fail the MOT, so I head home instead. I tried to remove the button but the damn thing wouldn't come out. Fuses looked fine, so I went with the advice from here to disconnect the battery. And Voila, it now works fine after a bit of a display like a Christmas tree.

You guys saved me a lot of money so thank you!

No doubt this will come back and haunt me soon, but at least I know how to handle it next time.

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking brake switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
    How much does a switch cost?

My car is in for a service today and they have diagnosed a faulty switch. They want £61.06 for parts labour and VAT. I don't particularly want to pay them for labour on such a simple job.
    They probably have to charge ¼-an-hour minimum labour for every 'unscheduled' job.

A Renault garage I had dealings with in the UK broke everything down into ¼-hour segments for anything that was outside a listed (eg. clutch change) job.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast