Notices

User Tag List

Thread: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions...

1. My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just picked up a new motor the weekend before last. Anyway, it's in VGC, FSH, all receipts and old MOTs, had lots spent on it. One of, if not the best condition 11 year old Passats around certainly...

Anyway... Got a couple of minor issues with it. Firstly, the turbo seems to whistle slightly. Is this normal? I've owned a couple of cars with the 90bhp version of the same engine (K03 turbo instead of the GT17 iirc) and they didn't whistle at all. The engine still revs well, WAY better than my old 90bhp Passat, but it certainly doesn't feel as strong as perhaps one or two other 110bhp model Passats I've tried. Is it likely that the turbo is on the way out? And if so, who/where to get a replacement turbo from, and how easy is it to fit myself? Doesn't look like much is holding it on, is it fairly easy?

Secondly... I know it's January and it's cold outside, but this car has THE WORST condensation problem I've ever come across in a car! I've checked all the door and window seals, they seem fine. The car is quiet on the motorway, no wind noise at all. Interior is all dry, no damp at all anywhere... What's likely to be causing it? And how can I remedy it?

Thirdly... The car as optional extra 17" 7 spoke alloys as fitted to some of the V6 engined Passats on it, with 225/45R17 tyres on. Can't find any info on what tyre pressures I should be running on this car with these tyres.

Cheers for any help in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, your condensation problem is probably down to a blocked pollen filter.

The tyre pressures should be the same as 15s or 16s, with a margin of
    around 3psi you can play with, depending on noise and comfort.

Try some injector cleaner, and an Italian tune-up.

Regards
    Jim

1 0 0

3. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Not the pollen filter being blocked but the seal under it being flooded due to the drains below the battery and the servo being blocked.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

4. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK cheers, will check the Pollen filter... Didn't think to check it actually, replaced one on a B5 Passat before so know it's an easy job to do...

Already put some injector cleaner in (Redex diesel injector cleaner), will see what that does. Been recommended to get hold of some FORTE injector cleaner, so will try some of that if I can get hold of it... And sorry, by an "Italian Tune" do you mean give it a thrash? If so, already done... When I first got it, got it warmed right up, then took it round to 4500rpm a good few times in the first 3 gears. Oh, and I cleaned the (fairly new to be fair) air filter out just for good measure.

Crasher, will have a look and see if anything is flooded. If it is, how do I remedy it?

0 0 0

5. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mboy View Post
    Already put some injector cleaner in (Redex diesel injector cleaner), will see what that does. Been recommended to get hold of some FORTE injector cleaner, so will try some of that if I can get hold of it..
    Never had much success with redex, would go for forte and millers sport4,
    but they don't work immediately, takes a week or two.

Regards
    Jim

0 0 0

6. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Not the filter itself, the seal around the base of the housing it sits in and water getting in there is only an effect of the blocked drains.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum about this problem so there is no point me repeating myself or others over it. It must be THE most covered topic on this forum.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I cleared out several handfuls of what can only be described as compost from under the battery tray last night, and cleared out the drain holes... So hopefully things won't get any worse at least!

Have been running the heater on full and opening the window occasionally, to let the humid air out too. May well put a chemical dehumidifier in too to help things...

Anyway... Got another problem now. The engine has gone into limp mode a couple of times when giving it some welly. I have taken it to a mechanic who put it on a fault code reader, and it returned the following...

Fault Code: 575
    Inlet pressure manifold sensor
    Regulation difference
    Intermittent

So... What do I need to do to fix this?

0 0 0

8. Re: My 1999 1.9TDi 110bhp model... A few questions... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Clean the turbo ! Another well covered topic on the web, gogle limp mode !

0 0 0