Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry if you guys have heard this before but this is how the story goes:

Drove my friends Vauxhall Astra as he asked my opinion on a banging noise from the suspension, we both had a look and saw that the ball joint on the o/s wish bone had gone, not a major problem as the car is already 8 years old, but is interesting is that it passed an MOT only 3 days ago my friend said its been like that a while but just ignored it....in anyones sane mind it should failed for that but didt?

Obviously we are now wanting to down the road of having a word with a the garage but dont no where we stand legaly cos i know the MOT is only techically valid for the day of test and anything after that is not their problem?

Any thoughts?

0 0 0

2. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A ball joint should fail if there is excessive movement. If the movement is enough to cause a banging noise then I would say that is excessive, but I am not an MOT tester.

I am surprised if the tester had noticed it that they didn't fail it as they have missed out on the oppotunity for more work. Take it to that well known bunch of chancers who fit tyres and do MOTs, they will fail it on that, plus they will tell you your brakes, shocks, exhuast, and tyres will need replacing too.

0 0 0

3. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    items such as ball joints day of test corrosion upto 3 months, it is poss they missed it, was it an ATL or a 2 man test station? also it depends how they jacked it up, on sat at work we had a zaffy in for mot and it passed, i had to service it after and when it was on my 2 post ramp there was loads of play in the bottom ball joint, that i know i didnt feel when i tested it, im also 100% sure i checked it as all vauxhalls from about 98 on have the same crap bottom arm set up and bottom ball joints fail for a past time on them

now im not trying to defend the mot tester far from it im just saying there are times when there is no movement to be seen at that time

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

4. Re: MOT debate 
    Little Houghton, Barnsley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    items such as ball joints day of test corrosion upto 3 months, it is poss they missed it, was it an ATL or a 2 man test station? also it depends how they jacked it up, on sat at work we had a zaffy in for mot and it passed, i had to service it after and when it was on my 2 post ramp there was loads of play in the bottom ball joint, that i know i didnt feel when i tested it, im also 100% sure i checked it as all vauxhalls from about 98 on have the same crap bottom arm set up and bottom ball joints fail for a past time on them

now im not trying to defend the mot tester far from it im just saying there are times when there is no movement to be seen at that time
    Im not sure how they jacked it up i personly never went to the test station,
    sorry i didt understand the first bit of your post 'items such as ball joints day of test corrosion upto 3 month'? thanks for help tho guys and yeah iwaters i think i know who you are on about haha

0 0 0

5. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sorry i was a little vague if a car is tested now and tomorrow you find a knackered bottom ball joint and make a complaint nothing will happen, because at the time of test it tested ok, but if you tested a car today and in 2 months time you complained because you found your bulk head was rusted out then VOSA would look in to it, if that makes sense

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

6. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I thought there was a 7 day window to make a 'report' to VOSA Phil? It might have changed since I had the golf though.

0 0 0

7. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    sorry i was a little vague if a car is tested now and tomorrow you find a knackered bottom ball joint and make a complaint nothing will happen, because at the time of test it tested ok, but if you tested a car today and in 2 months time you complained because you found your bulk head was rusted out then VOSA would look in to it, if that makes sense
    Ah yes that makes sense now thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In honesty its not becuase i wanted the car to fail as no one likes a red sheet but its just that their not doing their job right, or maybe as you said phil made human error

It just does not restore faith in certain garages

0 0 0

9. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshrules View Post
    I thought there was a 7 day window to make a 'report' to VOSA Phil? It might have changed since I had the golf though.
    It use to be, but i think its been changed to time of test, i will double check in work tomorrow

only once have i been involved with a complaint about an MOT (it was me that tested and it wasnt the garage i worked for) customer bought a car that came with 12 mot, he wanted use to service it, i found the inner sill were shot, a wheel bearing gone and a leaking brake hose, my boss explained to the customer to contact the testing garage/dealer and say what we had found he went straight to VOSA and they made an appoint to come and check the car, giving the seller our address, the customer dropped it off that night and come the morning there was nothing to test as the car had been burnt out thro the night, nothing to test then

i will double check tomorrow on the lengh of time

0 0 0

10. Re: MOT debate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had alot of mot's over the years and its been interesting to see the variations.

I always check the car over 1st so I've got a approx idea of what could fail.

In one case I put my car into a independant fast fit centre for mot.
    I drove in through torrential rain, the car dripping on the mechanics when on the ramp, (I was watching).
    The manager walks by puts his finger on the rear struts rubs them and walks off.
    Fail sheet says surprise, leaky shocks, I was pretty sure the shocks were ok.
    So I got a (very good) mobile mech to swop the shocks and let me know what he thought,
    we both looked at the struts and both of us couldn't believe they had failed, zero leaks.

I've been to places where items that I considered a fail didn't fail and items that were ok failed
    (tester was talking to someone-else whilst testing, not his fault they were very busy, but it meant he wasn't paying attention)

In another case my car was failed with a scratch on the windscreen, whilst the mechanic was talking to me, having a good general moan,
    I managed to clean of the 'scratch', dirty mark in reality, when he tried pointing out this 'scratch' he had a problem!

I know that there is pressure in all jobs these days, so there could be allsorts of reasons for these differences.

I now only go to recommended garages.
    I also recommend using the mot test section in some of the haynes manuals to check your vehicle over as a general practice.

By doing this kind of thing, I once found that a handbrake cable that had been replaced by a garage had been fitted wrong,
    it was cutting its way through the fuel filler pipe each time I used it!

Good job I'm a nosey cynic!

Having been a bit negative I would like to say that some mot centres/mechanics have been very good,
    including one mot tester who had 'they shall fail' tatooed on his forehead!

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast