Notices

User Tag List

Thread: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    DAVE NIC Guest
    Hi.

Just bought lovely '57 2.0 Tdi Passat Sport saloon. I want to fit a warning triangle to the recess in the interior boot lid trim. However, now I have bought the warning triangle & mounting plate I discover that there are no pre cut slots in the trim where the recess is to accept the clips on the mounting plate. Can anyone help me please by telling me how to get the trim off as I believe there should be pre stamped slot cutting lines on the inside rear of the trim to guide you where to cut it exactly to accept the clips on the mounting plate. Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey I've been wanting to do this since I got the car! Where did you get the Triangle kit please? Thanks!
    07 Passat SEL Sport TDI 170 R
    Deep Pearl Black

0 0 0

3. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    DAVE NIC Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ToMBoY_C View Post
    Hey I've been wanting to do this since I got the car! Where did you get the Triangle kit please? Thanks!
    Hi, good old E Bay from a supplier called SILVERWAGEN. See this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Shape-VW-P...item27ad75d754

Let me know if you have success fitting it - I am just away to start that stage but seems not many people have done it. Seems it was mandatory to fit them on European VW's but not on UK spec VW's so they didn't cut the slots even though the recess for the warning triangle is there - daft or what all for the sake of a few quid !

Cheers.

0 0 0

4. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Image shows my holder installed. Used an existing image found on this or another passat forum as a guide. Used a sharp screwdriver to punch through where I had estimated the holes to be, then used a stanley knife to cut flush with the metal holes underneath the lining. Successfully got the holder in, including tightening the middle clip by turning the screw. This expands the clip underneath to hold it all in place.

However on first attempt on closing the boot, my holder and triangle just fell off - too heavy. Solution to this was to 'pack' the bottom clips (you can just see the problematic one on the left) with card or something else to help push and hold the clip in place. Basically the thickness of the lining can cause problems with these lower clips. And if these fail the middle one isn't strong enough to take the weight.

My first mod ever done to the car, and yes, it should be factory fitted to all! Sorry for quality of pic, just gone out in the dark and it was the best i could do!

Hope this helps you.
    A3 8V S-Line Cabriolet 2.0 TDI
    -------------------------------------------
    Passat B6 FSI • Passat TDI 105 • BMW E90 318d • BMW F30 320d Lux

0 0 0

5. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE NIC View Post
    ...Can anyone help me please by telling me how to get the trim off as I believe there should be pre stamped slot cutting lines on the inside rear of the trim to guide you where to cut it exactly to accept the clips on the mounting plate. Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.
    The boot trim is held on by clips around its outside edge, which you can locate by trying to lift it. These can be levered up with a flat wide-bladed (2-3cm) tool or a knife!. You'll also find three (can't remember exactly how many) torx screws in the recess that you use to pull the boot lid shut. Again from memory they are on the side nearest you when the lid's up.

I'd go outside and check for you but right now it's chucking it down
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

6. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    ...Seems it was mandatory to fit them on European VW's but not on UK spec VW's ...
    As a matter of interest mine (French) wasn't supplied with one

I don't know what they do in Spain - you're supposed to have two
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

7. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's of any help there was a thread on retrofitting a warning triangle a couple of years back.

I contributed details of how I fitted mine, and I find I still have the text. This follows in case anyone is interested.

1. Remove 4 torx head self tappers from the pull-down recesses in the boot lid liner.

2. Pull off the plastic cover over the boot catch

3. Release about 10 spring clips which hold the boot liner to the boot lid. The VW manual says lever them free with a screw driver close to the points where the clips attach to the liner. I found it easier to slide in a blunt knife blade and lever them free. They are pretty tight!

4. The liner will now come free, dangling on the cable which attaches to the emergency boot release handle. You can detach this, but I didn't bother.

5. You now need to cut 1 slot and 4 square holes in the triangle recess to accomodate the fitting bracket. I made a paper template from the bracket, with the holes cut out, and taped this in place on the liner with double-sided tape. I then cut the holes in the liner using a Stanley knife. The liner is tough thin plastic under the black felt, but it cuts fairly easily with a new blade. The holes are concealed when the bracket is fitted, so don't worry if they are a bit ragged.

6. Refit the boot liner, and push the bracket into place. It's a snap fit.

7. Lock the bracket in place with a single self-tapper. It only needs to be about half an inch long. Don't use a longer one than necessary, or it may hit the underside of the boor lid, leaving a mark which will show externally

8. Fit the triangle, stand back and admire.

Mike

0 0 0

8. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    DAVE NIC Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecb1 View Post
    If it's of any help there was a thread on retrofitting a warning triangle a couple of years back.

I contributed details of how I fitted mine, and I find I still have the text. This follows in case anyone is interested.

1. Remove 4 torx head self tappers from the pull-down recesses in the boot lid liner.

2. Pull off the plastic cover over the boot catch

3. Release about 10 spring clips which hold the boot liner to the boot lid. The VW manual says lever them free with a screw driver close to the points where the clips attach to the liner. I found it easier to slide in a blunt knife blade and lever them free. They are pretty tight!

4. The liner will now come free, dangling on the cable which attaches to the emergency boot release handle. You can detach this, but I didn't bother.

5. You now need to cut 1 slot and 4 square holes in the triangle recess to accomodate the fitting bracket. I made a paper template from the bracket, with the holes cut out, and taped this in place on the liner with double-sided tape. I then cut the holes in the liner using a Stanley knife. The liner is tough thin plastic under the black felt, but it cuts fairly easily with a new blade. The holes are concealed when the bracket is fitted, so don't worry if they are a bit ragged.

6. Refit the boot liner, and push the bracket into place. It's a snap fit.

7. Lock the bracket in place with a single self-tapper. It only needs to be about half an inch long. Don't use a longer one than necessary, or it may hit the underside of the boor lid, leaving a mark which will show externally

8. Fit the triangle, stand back and admire.

Mike
    Hi Mike. Thanks very much for the advice. Couple of questions for you please. It sounds as if when you took off the boot lid liner that there were no pre stamped cutting guide lines on the back of the boot liner to show you where to cut or you would not have needed to make a template - was this the case ? If this was the case, I was curious why you took the liner off & why you just didn't put your template to the outside of the liner & cut it from the outside to save time & the work involved in taking off the liner. Interested to hear your comments. Cheers, Dave.

0 0 0

9. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mike. Thanks very much for the advice. Couple of questions for you please. It sounds as if when you took off the boot lid liner that there were no pre stamped cutting guide lines on the back of the boot liner to show you where to cut or you would not have needed to make a template - was this the case ? If this was the case, I was curious why you took the liner off & why you just didn't put your template to the outside of the liner & cut it from the outside to save time & the work involved in taking off the liner. Interested to hear your comments. Cheers, Dave.
    Dave

There were no pre-marked cutting lines on the back of the boot lid liner (on mine at least). I took the liner off mainly to check what was behind it. I guess you could cut it in place, but personally I'd be nervous of doing this. Aside from the risk of cutting something you don't intend to, like a cable, it takes a fair bit of force to cut through the liner, and if your cutting tool comes up against the underside of the boot lid it could create marks/dents that show through on the outside.

HTH

Mike

0 0 0

10. Re: B6 warning triangle fitting instructions 
    DAVE NIC Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecb1 View Post
    Dave

There were no pre-marked cutting lines on the back of the boot lid liner (on mine at least). I took the liner off mainly to check what was behind it. I guess you could cut it in place, but personally I'd be nervous of doing this. Aside from the risk of cutting something you don't intend to, like a cable, it takes a fair bit of force to cut through the liner, and if your cutting tool comes up against the underside of the boot lid it could create marks/dents that show through on the outside.

HTH

Mike
    Hi Mike. Thanks for your reply. I agree, sounds the sensible option to take off the boot liner to make sure you don't damage anything when cutting through. I'm going to wait for the better weather before I attempt this - don't feel like trying it in my cold garage just at the moment.

Cheers.

Dave.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast